We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which one melbourne or cairns

wales (uk)
10 posts
Save Topic
which one melbourne or cairns

hi all in autrailia next octber 2009 for 8 days defo know iam going to sydney for 4 days but do not know weather to go to melbourne or cairns for my last 4 days, would love to see the reef is this close to cairns ?? and does it cost a lot to do ?? know about what to do in melbourne but need to find out more about cairns to make up my mind thanls all

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

Well if you want to see the reef you wont see it down here that's for sure! Cairns it has to be. Personally I am not a real fan of the city and prefer to stay somewhere else close by (e.g Port Douglas).

Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

gidday - I'd go to Cairns - apart from it not being another BIG capital city, it is also in the tropical north - another part of the fascinating Oz scenery - oh, and you can get to the reef much easier from there, than Melbourne!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,713 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

As Adelaide74 mentioned there is no reef in Melbourne. If you want to see the reef then go to Cairns, the Whitsundays Islands , Heron Island , Lady Elliott Island or Lady Musgrave Island.

Cairns would be your best choice to fit your budget.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

depends on what u want to do for the last 4 days... you can either go to Cairns and relax, or go to Melbourne and have a look at some sites, and also shop shop shop....

It is alot cheaper to go to melbourne for 4 days than going to cairns... Cairns accomodation and flights are more pricey than melbourne's... up to you on how much you want to spend, and what you want to see..

Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

Hi Glen,

I thought I'd just throw in my two-bob's worth. Melbourne is a fabulous city with great achitecture & culture. But the things you'd see there are pretty similar to where you are from.

I'd recommend heading north, see the Barrier Reef, snorkel or scuba dive with the wild life - you'll have a ball!

Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

October is a wonderful time of year for visiting far north queensland and cairns. The scenery is spectacular, as are the friendly people, laid-back lifestyle and range of touring options.

Yes, you can visit the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns there are many operators. Also keep in mind that some of the most diverse and supreme quality reef is accessible from Port Douglas- most companies also offer transfers from Cairns hotels. Have a look over the pages trip advisor about the options from Cairns and Port. Costs will range between around $100-$250 for a reef trip depanding on type of boat you go on and if you want to snorkel or dive.

Lots of things to do around Cairns too- Skyrail and Scenic Railway, wildlife sauctuaries, skydive, bungy, ATV's, Horse riding, white water rafting, fishing, hot air ballooning....the list goes on! Fairly good nightlife with lots of pubs and clubs to choose from (not as many as Melbourne, of course), lots of fun and Cairns has a happy party vibe, especially in October when weather is beautiful!!!

And you say, you know about Melb, so won't mention too much, but it also is a fantastic city with lots to offer travellers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,890 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

For me in october there is no qestion...go north young man...

oct is sually premium weather up north and TBH there is very little in the world that is similar to rainforest and the reef

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

Agree with most of the others - go to the reef and stay in port douglas. Port douglas and cairns both have active forums with lots of locals to advise.

Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

Why ask this type of question and I really wonder why you asked on the Sydney forum? I'll give you a different answer. October is a brilliant time to visit Melbourne. Weather is improving dramatically especially since it doesn;t rain here anymore, party time as the footy has just ended and the Spring Racing Carnival has just started. Best city in Australia what more could you want?

Certainly Cairns (well Port Douglas) is good too.

I'm thinking of going to the UK next year which would you suggest Cardiff or Edinburgh?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which one melbourne or cairns

Good to see you are planning well ahead. i totally loooove Melbourne as a city (and i live in Sydney), but if you are already going to Sydney, I think I would also go to Cairns (or similar). I would do the research if I were you. You have plenty of time to make your own, well-informed choices. But if you like the beach and really want tot see the reef, then I would at least head to Queensland rather than Melbourne.

I would suggest familiarising yourself with a good map of queensland, and then searching the 'net for the best hotel deals, as I think Cairns can be a touch expensive, and there are many towns you can take good day trips from to view the Barrier Reef.

As suggested, Port Douglas might be a better option, or even one of the Whitsunday Islands?