We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

We will be in Sydney for 2 days in late May and are staying at the Westin Sydney which is in the Central Business District. We are looking for somewhere good to have dinner both nights (Sat. and Sun.) and we'd like to be able to walk there if possible since we won't have a car. Should I go somewhere "On the Rocks"?

We are interested to try restaurants which feature modern Australian produce/cuisine. We also love Thai, Indian and Italian food. Last of all, we'd prefer a place that takes reservations or at least one where we won't encounter an hour wait. Any ideas?

Lastly, about 10 years ago I had dinner at Bather's Pavilion and it was great. Does it still have good food? How would I get there from the Westin? I noticed on the Forum that someone wrote about taking a boat there, I guess from Circular Quay? Any more info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Yes The Rocks/Circular Quay area is a 10-15 min walk from the Westin...lots of choices there..

My favorite at Circuar Quay is Quay, which as well as having amazing food, has spectacular views of the Opera House/Harbour bridge..

http://www.quay.com.au/

Another I really like in that area is Yoshii

http://www.yoshii.com.au/main.html

Some other info.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s501/Sydney:A…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c1178/Sydney:…

I've not been to The Bathers pavilion ( Balmoral)..it would possibly be a private boat to get there

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Not budget but Tetsuyas is proabbaly another good choice it would require booking asap

both it and Quay have just been named in the world's top 50 restaurants

an easy walk from Westin in Chifley Sq is 41

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

I had a look at the restaurants in the 2 TA links. Many sound great. However, how can I tell where these places are? Short of plugging the address of each of them into Mapquest, it is possible to tell far away are they from the Westin?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Any in particular? Most are either walkable or a short taxi ride away...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
216 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

These look interesting to me:

Buon Ricordo

Aqua Dining at North Sydney Olympic Pool

Icebergs Dining Room- Bondi Beach

Le Kiosk – Shelley Beach Manly

I have read really good things about Iceberg and Le Kiosk however I am concerned that they are far away from our hotel. Is it pretty common (and easy) to get taxis to/from these beaches?

What about Rockpool? Is it worth the hype? I know it is w/in walking distance from our hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Icebergs will be easy.

le Kiosk is at manly so you need either to do ferry trip of bout 30-40mins each way or get a taxi which is pretty pricey as it is a long trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Buon Ricordo is at Paddington 15 mins ($20 AUD each way approx) by taxi.

Haven't been to Rockpool for a few years, was great then, but personally I prefer Quay...

Some further info that may help (or confuse you some more!)..

smh.com.au/news/…1220121204816.html

A little old now...

smh.com.au/news/…1197135410955.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Bather's Pavilion is a little bit past its prime. I've eaten there a couple of times and think that there are many much better restaurants in Sydney now doing better food at those prices.

Aqua Dining is well worth visiting - the view is great. You can get there on a ferry to Milsons Point from Circular quay. The cabfare back to the Westin at the end of the night shouldn't be more than $20.

Guillaume at Bennelong (Opera House) is another recommendation; if you liked the food at Bathers Pavilion, you'd certainly enjoy Bennelong. I'm not sure if they offer it on weekends, but on weeknights I've had their 3 course pre-theatre dinner for $80 which is excellent value. Aria (near the opera house) has a similar special, though I was left a bit cold by both food and service at Aria.

CT
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

Rockpool is *completely* worth it. There are few places I've been to that really understand how to cook transcendent seafood and they're one of them. (Le Bernardin in New York is another.)

Tetsuya's, as someone else mentioned, is great too. Their signature ocean trout with konbu, daikon, and fennel is amazing! We remembered to bring our camera for this meal. Mmmmmm! http://www.louwphotography.com/tetsuyas

Have a great time!

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
982 posts
642 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations for a short stay in Sydney's CBD

We have just returned from Sydney and were disappointed with restaurants at The Rocks, we found them overpriced and not overly inspiring for what they were.

We had a stunning meal at 'Malaya' which is near Cockle Bay Wharf at Darling Harbour. It was buzzing and you need to book in advance, particularly if you want one of their window seats.

Another memorable experience was a fish platter at The Fish Market at lunchtiome - best and freshest fish and shellfish ever (lobster, prawns, scallops etc) - well worth experiencing. You could then just go for drinks at night somewhere like Orbit Bar, which revolves above the City, Darling Harbour or The Opera Bar as you won't be able to eat another thing after your lunch.

Enjoy, we were wowed with Sydney!