We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for getting flights upgraded

Bolton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Tips for getting flights upgraded

Not strictly related to just Sydney I know but you all seem a well travelled bunch and i thought you might be able to help. As I have already said on this forum I am going on a multi-destination wedding/honeymoon trip which involves alot of long flights and we were not able to afford anything better than economy class flight and i was wondering if anybody had any tips for getting upgraded. We are flying Air New Zealand and Emirates.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
1,604 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for getting flights upgraded

If you have frquent flyer points ie a member of an alliance such as one world alliance you can use your points to upgrade...but usually its hard to get on the long hauls as most planes are packed. WE are gold members of world alliance and very seldom can we get an upgrade. There really is NO TIP as if there was we would all be flying business class for economy price. The only upgrades we have ever got was on short trips such as Sydney to NZ or domestic Sydney to Perth. Once we got an upgrade from Sydney to Rome but we knew someone in Qantas that helped us achieve this.

Best tip : get friendly with airline staff !

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for getting flights upgraded

A few tips:

1. Make sure you're in the Frequent Flyer programme for the airline

2. Dress smart. There's no chance of getting upgraded if you're in flip flops and a singlet.

3. Ask nicely. e.g. "Are you by any chance upgrading passengers on this flight? If so we'd like to be considered."

4. Be flexible. They might ask that some people be bumped from one flight if they overbook. If that happens, there's a good chance you'll get a reward of cash or an upgrade on the next flight they put you on.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
35 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for getting flights upgraded

sort of along the same lines

Has anyone ever turned up at the airport and paid for a upgrade to business class? i would have thought they would take a payment for a last min upgrade??

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for getting flights upgraded

If you can be flexible, do what 'qk' said in his post, point 4. If the airline has a busy flight with one, two of more flights a day to a destination, ask if they are doing standbys. They'll pay you $500-ish and you'll be seated business class when you go. Cathay has done this a couple of times for a friend of mine. If you need to wait until the following day, they'll stick you up in a hotel too.

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for getting flights upgraded

I'm flying to Oz next February and because of previous experiences of cramped conditions are shelling out for business class with Cathay.

We flew to Vancouver a couple of years ago, dressed extra smart all to no avail. what made it worse was the clown in the seat in front decided to drop his seat minutes after take off and couldn't be persuaded to give me a break! The stewardess tried to placate me with large quantities of wine. It only made things worse! We did however get upgraded to the top deck of the 747 coming back because I complained.

Last year we flew BA to Cape Town when threr was a dearth of businees customers. I asked BA at Heathrow if we could pay for an upgrade. they refused because we had a ticket bought from a tour company. They upgraded us on our return after logging my frustration on the outgoing trip.