We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McComb, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

My wife and I will be traveling to Australia and New Zealand in 2010 and wondering if I should bring my laptop along? Everything on TripAdvisor indicates that hotels in that area charge high fees for internet access.

It appears that using internet kiosk may be a better solution cost wise and I don't have to worry about my computer getting stolen and having to carry it around.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Hey,

You don't have to rely on hotels for internet access - you can get free wi-fi all around the place (all the McDonalds stores and the Starbucks dotted around the city offer it).

Internet cafes can be pricey, but if you are only going to be using them occasionally, then they would be your best bet. You will find lots clustered around the southern end of the CBD (towards the Central end of George Street). This area of the city is a little on the shabby side (the George Street cinema strip is now quite dirty and disgusting); you might be able to find other internet cafes located closer to your hotel, so ask at reception, or look through the yellow pages.

If you're going to be using computers/internet at length, I'd bring your laptop and use the free wi-fi.

Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

It depends on how much you use your laptop. We carry a laptop with us ALL the time and would be totally lost without it. However, if you are just checking on e-mails once a week then I would leave it behind.

As mentioned by snr-Sydney there are plenty of wi-fi spots around the cities. Computers can be a hassle going through customs - so unless you really need it I would just use the Internet cafes etc.etc.

EM.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

We always bring a "notebook" which fits into my messenger bag which I can carry around. Found lots of places with wi-fi including outside the Law Courts and spend a nice afternoon in Melbournes Federation Square listening to live music whilst checking the internet.

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

We have also been into Libraries and been able to use their computers for free for 30 minutes just to check emails etc.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Give these guys a go:

http://globalgossip.com/

They're a chain of internet & phone hubs where you can buy a prepaid card and keep using it until the credit runs out. So if you don't use it all at one location, you can keep it and use it at another.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Sydney and Melb have net cafes that charge 2.50 or 3 dollars per hour...smaller centres can be much more but many local libraries are cheap or free though time limited to share the use.

Unless you really need to be online daily I wouldnt bother carrying a laptop,

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Having your laptop with you can have advanatages ie downloading photos from your camera as well catching up with emails etc. Many large shopping malls in NZ and Australai have starbucks, Esquires and Muffin Break. Many of these "coffee shops" will give you 30 mins of wifi for the price of a coffee and muffin and we all have to have those on holidays.

The biggest negative is going out in the morning due home in the late afternoon and lugging the lap top around.

I was in Australia last week and stayed in the Holiday Inn in the rocks and the cost of WIFI in the hotel compared favourably with internet cafes around town. It was cheaper than some and dearer than some so it hit the midpoint which is all one can expect I guess.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

Having just returned from a month in the States, I really did rely on my Notepad to keep in touch with family and friends and to download my photos to when the memory card was full.

You can often hook into wireless networks and sometimes paying a small fee to the hotel is easier if you want to use the internet at night instead of using up some of your sightseeing time during the day.

If you haven't got one, I'd recommend a small Notepad - mine's only 8" but it has a lot of memory and is very lightweight (less than 1kg) and didn't cost an arm and a leg - much easier than lugging a full sized one tho'.

As Ellemay says, going through the security can be a bit of an issue, but I just leave mine on top in my carry-on, then at the Xray machine, take it out and then put it back in once it's been Xrayed. I don't bother to take out any plugs or cables as they don't seem to be interested in that, just the Notepad

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

For Sydney CBD area, there are plenty of Internet cafes around, and many convience stores have a few PC in them as well. So if you only need check emails, upload a few phots etc then you will be fine without a laptop.

I visited the westcoast of US/Canada in June this year, and wished i had a laptop, as apart from Vancouver, not many internet cafes around.

Enjoy your trip.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should a bring my laptop to Australia/NZ or use kiosks?

we have just returned from a month in the usa too and made the decison not to take our laps tops. we visited the odd internet cafe and kept in touch with home via our tracfones. was the best decision we have made not having to worry about lugging them around, going thru airport security or hiding them in hotel tooms. try it and u will see u dont need them as much as u think u do.