We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

I'm going to be in Sydney in March and thinking about doing the Bridge Climb. There will be two of us, (myself and wife) however we are both afraid of heights. I've read on the website that this isn't a problem, (but then it would say that wouldn't it), however was wondering if anyone who has the same fear has done the climb and how they got on.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

all i can say is that i have a fear of heights (u can still see my fingerprints embedded in the steel railing on top of the eiffel tower) and i wouldn't go near the bridge climb despite being offered numerous "freebies"

just the thought of looking down thru those grated steps makes my flesh crawl.

off to see my shrink now!

:-)

Austins Ferry
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

We haven't done the climb yet, we're booked in for February. I have a friend who is terrified off heights and she will tell you that you have to do it. She won her climb through work and was terrified, she mention this to her guide who did the best to calm her(she said it didn't really help) but once they got started she was to busy looking where she was going to look down, she raves about the views and how well organised the climb and staff are. The only time she was scared was coming coming down a train went across the bridge and she said that turned her tummy, but was fine once it had passed. She can't sit on a Grandstand at the footy because she is so scared of the height, but raves about the climb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

I don't like heights either but did not have an issue with the climb although had some reservations before hand like you. Lots of previous threads about this so could go and do a search on this topic. Only place which is a bit daunting is the first part going over some planks, which only lasts a few moments and you are securely attached at all times and no chance of falling or slipping. I'd give it a go, it really is quite good.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

FYI you wear a heavy harness with a cable. The cable is connected to an ingenious metal fitting which locks into a cable that runs along the entire tour route. Once you "latch in" it's designed to be impossible to unlatch until the end of the tour (hope this makes sense). I'm an engineer, you could literally dangle a Toyota from the harness and it would hold the weight.

As far as I recall there are very few spots where you can look down through gratings. In those spots look outward instead of down. Most of the route is atop the arch which is solid steel plates. The tour is on catwalks and stairs with railings and the safety cable.

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Really the bridge climb is easy. The thing is even if you are afraid of heights you are attachted the whole time so you can't fall off. There is no changing cords to harness you. It is an easy safe climb.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Like Lien I am dead scared of heights & I could never do it no matter what others say. Any looking down at all would have me freaking out. I can't even drive over Westgate Bridge in Melbourne without feelings of severe vertigo.

And the Bridge climb doesn't work for everyone. A good friend of ours, whose company decided to use it as a bonding session & insisted everyone go, froze half way up the bridge. She couldn't go on and they wouldn't let her go back, so some of their staff virtually had to carry her back down. It left her a nervous wreck.

Considering the cost you really need to assess your & your wifes feelings about it. Don't forget there are also the Pylon Walks and even walking across the bridge itself on the walkway.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

hi aussisjohn

i had a little laugh at your "cant cross west gate bridge" line, cos I am exactly the same LOL! I get Vertifo for sure...

I cant walk over any overpass over the roads, or bridges, and I dont like walking on jettys at the beach either :-)

Its not the height i dont think, but the openess and being up higher.......

2 years ago we travelled the USA and went to all the major sites...But at Empire State Buiding and Rockfellar Plaza, as the family circled on the outside, I clung to the windows on the inside!! LOL

I am going to Sydney in Feb, and havent entertained the thought of the bridge climb, cos I know I would start hyper ventilating during it and I wouldnt be able to look at anything so whats the point!!!

I say trust your instincts.....if you dont like heights DONT DO IT!!!

The thing is , I know u r harnessed , and its safe, but that doenst stop u from that sickness creeping in when you start to climb.....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Hi linda

A few years ago we travelled to Europe via Malaysia & my family all went up the Peronas towers & the other huge tower they have in KL. Even looking up at them made me woozy. The best I did was the first level od the Eiffel Tower in Paris whilst they went to the top. (there is a bar on the first level though

;-))

Strangely enough the worst place was St Stepehens Cathedral in Vienna. To get to the top you have to walk across about 50 mtrs of an open grill thing attached to the outside of the church around 80 mtrs off the ground. That was never going to happen.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 11:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Some good responses. I also hate driving over high bridges, likely because I'm not secured to anything. I didn't have this same problem with the Bridge climb, those harnesses and locks do make a huge difference. But of course if your are absolutely terrified don't bother.

Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb - Fear of Heights

Thanks for all of your messages of support!! No seriously thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll leave it up to the wife to decide on the basis that if she doesn't want to do it I can always say to folk that I would have done it but decided to stay with her, and if she does want to do it then I can't be seen to be a wimp. :-)

Will let you know how I get on if I do it, (if I survive)