We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

this forum is addicting.

after reading through all the advice, i have my general route planned (3 wk stay)

4-5 days sydney

3 days cape tribulation (fly into cairns?)

3-4 days whitsundays (can i fly from cairns?)

3 days fraser island

2-3 days byron

back to sydney to fly home :(

ok, question is...does this sound like good options? and what is the most logical (and cheapest) way to get to these places and in what order? i'll be flying wherever i can to save time. if these locales don't seem the best...EXPERTS please keep the advice flowing!!! tx.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Looks like a pretty good itinerary all up.. the only thing you might consider changing (unless you want to see Whitehaven) is to remove the Whitsunday leg... flights from cairns are expensive and I think only one per day into hamilton Island... not aware of an air service into Proserpine.. you can have the full reef experience from Cairns end of the world..

I would suggest flying back to Brisbane from cairns and maybe hiring a car to get to fraser Island..you could make it a loop and then go down to Byron and retrun the car in brisbane to fly to Sydney...

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

think i'm getting it.

so no direct flight in to fraser island.

maybe i can fly to brisbane, bus it to fraser and then perhaps hit byron, fly our of brisban back to sydney.

assuming i remove whitsundays.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Yep...

the closest airport to Fraser would be Sunshine Coast but nothing flies between it and Cairns so yes I think a bus is the best form of public transport to get from fraser to Byron

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Forgot to add you can fly out of Byron (Ballina airport about 30 mins down the road) back to Sydney. Jetstar or Virgin blue starting from around 90AUD (cheaper than going back to bris)

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Guruswife is giving you the wrong information.

You can fly from Sydney to the Fraser Coast direct,the airport is at Hervey Bay,then you catch the ferry to Fraser Island.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Jetstar and Virgin Blue have these flights for $79.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

What about flying direct from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast (in lieu of Byron) for a few days (Mooloolaba or Noosa)www.accommooloolaba.com.au then flying/driving tour to Fraser Island from Sunshine Coast airport- see www.airfraserisland.com.au. Then fly from Hervey Bay (Fraser Coast)back to Brisvegas and get a flight to Hamilton Island or Proserpine (pity to miss the Whitsundays). You could then bus or drive to Cairns or even fly back to BNE and then fly to Cairns. Check virginblue.com and jetstar.com for cheap fares. Finally fly back Cairns to Sydney and home.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

I agree with Lockie,don't miss the Whitsundays,i'd drop Byron first.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

byron may be best avoided at the moment. there have been a number of cases in the news recently of tourists being bashed/harrassed by local kids. it seems that there is a strong anti-tourist element in the byron youth and its starting to turn ugly. i would head to the sunshine coast instead and give byron a miss.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 wks best route for sydney,cape trib, fraser, whitsundays...

Tropical traveller is travelling from cairns... to fraser.. read the post so there are no flights to fraser!