We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old currencies

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Topic
Old currencies

Can we still use the old Australian currencies of 20 yrs ago? When we went to China a few years back, we cannot use back the old currencies, the tour guide advise us not to keep any old Chinese Renmimbi.

sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old currencies

you cant use coins or notes that have been replaced like 1 or 2cent coins but bring what ever you have, Take it to a bank and they will change it for you into current usable currency. Any bank should be able to do this for you.

Happy travelling

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
830 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old currencies

Hi Iris,

The old paper money is still legal tender in Australia, but many younger folk working in retail shops and other businesses would not know how to identify it. You'd might be better off going in to a bank and changing it for current polymer (plastic) notes. I understand they can't charge you a commission for doing this, as they would simply be swapping notes of the same face value (they collect old notes and return them to the Reserve Bank).

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old currencies

When you say " old Australian currencies of 20 yrs ago", just what exactly are you referring to? The notes or coins? I can't remember what the currency was like that long ago. I certainly remember we did not have $1 and $2 coins, but notes instead.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old currencies

If it's the old paper 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 & 100's - sell them on Ebay and get you'll get more than the face value assuming they're in perfect or near to perfect condition.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old currencies

Polymer banknotes were first issued in 1988, but paper notes are still legal tender. As said above, if you are faced with some youth at a cash register they would not have a clue what you have. Just exchange them at a bank, as I hardly imagine that they would be in saleable mint condition if they were picked up in your previous travels.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old currencies

LOL Navy - we got the dollar coin in 1984 !! The $2 was sometime between 88 and 90 as I remember I was living over seas and missed its first appearance.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old currencies

You missed it. Oh dear pp, what a shame. I wished that I had missed being a bank teller on the 14th of February 1966. :(

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old currencies

Really Frommy? You were a bank teller that day.. that's awesome! I can't believe you regret it! Even if it was the day at work from hell... what an experience to be able to skite about! ... ;o) but then you don't really wish you missed it .... do you?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old currencies

1984????? gee doesn't time fly.............thanks PP

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old currencies

BTW Iris,

14 Feb 1966 was when Australia changed from using pounds shillings and pence to the decimal currency system we have now.