We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

We're coming down to Sydney for a long weekend in August and we're looking to have a really lovely romantic dinner while we're there. We're looking for recommendations for something memorable with spectacular food and wine.

Tetsuya's is not really our style and we've been to Aria in Brisbane, which was fantastic but because the menu is the same as in Sydney, we would like to try something else.

We love modern Australian, Italian, French, seafood - budget is not a concern as it is meant to be a real treat for a couple of foodies.

I know some of these places get booked out months in advance, hence my post now so that we can (hopefully) secure a table at the restaurant of our choice.

Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Tetsuya's
Tetsuya's
1,215 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Aria Restaurant
Aria Restaurant
2,358 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Quay (check there isn't a cruis ship in)

Guillame at Bennelong

Pier at Rose Bay

orno view great food

Balzac

Mentioned in this post
Bennelong Restaurant Sydney
Bennelong Restaurant...
1,019 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Quay :-)))))

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

I vote for Quay as well - and while I understand not wanting a cruise ship to be there as the view is spectacular, we have eaten there when a cruise ship was in and it was great fun - just a very different and entertaining sort of view.

While I love the food at Quay as well, I think that Marque and Bentley have more interesting menus.

menufeast.com.au/news/…

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bentley Restaurant & Bar
Bentley Restaurant & Bar
406 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Yes, I'm sure my Son would second the suggestion of Pier... especially the ..is it called liquid gnocchi?

Not in quite the same realm as Quay but I would add Ottoman (high end turkish mmm) and the Red Lantern (modern high end Vietnamese - superb). Don't think the usual turkish or viet style of thing - these places are special and I'm sure if you like modern Australian you'd like these two.

Actually, just curious, but noone seems to recommend Rockpool when these sorts of questions are asked.... does anyone have any recent experience of this one?

Edited: 19 April 2010, 12:34
Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Rockpool Bar & Grill
Rockpool Bar & Grill
1,450 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

All the previosly mentioned restaurants are excellent and I have tried them all, however I have always had a leaning towards ROCKPOOL in George St. The Rocks.

Neil Perry has produced great food there for many years. my wife's favourite dish is the Goats Cheese Tortellini with Yamba King Prawns (amazing).

Rockpool is a special place to dine, it does not have the views but its just has that something.

Regards

Patrick

Blue Mountains Concierge

Mentioned in this post
Rockpool Bar & Grill
Rockpool Bar & Grill
1,450 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,567 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Yamba
Yamba
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Also don't forget Rockpool Bar & Grill - it's a spectacular looking room. I love Bentley too, it's fun and a bit different without being too wacky. And Justin North at Becasse does French as well as anyone else in Sydney, probably Australia. Icebergs Dining Room & Bar, overlooking the ocean in Bondi, is a spectacular romantic location, although the floor service has become a bit patchy in recent years. But you certainly can't go wrong with Quay (although you can easily go broke).

Mentioned in this post
Rockpool Bar & Grill
Rockpool Bar & Grill
1,450 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bentley Restaurant & Bar
Bentley Restaurant & Bar
406 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

For one of the best look at the Catalina Restaurant, Rose Bay, Lyne Road in the eastern suburbs. Apart from the fabulous food it has a wonderful view over the harbour with at least a couple of sea planes moored just outside. I won't bore you with any more superlatives, just check out its website.

Mentioned in this post
Catalina Restaurant
Catalina Restaurant
988 Reviews
Rose Bay, Australia
Bondi
Level Contributor
72 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

I agree with the first poster, Guruswife. I'm a regular at Balzac's and their monthly Sunday degustation (with wine) is amazing and great value. But, if you are looking for views follow the first references. At Guillame, which has amazing views, insist on a good table. I asked for one, 3 months ahead, and got the worst they had. They told me "I will do everything I can for you." Apparently not. Make sure they say :"Yes! I'll arrange it," when you ask for a great table.

You might want to consider Jonah's at Whale Beach. A great location, great food, and you can stay there (or fly back to the City in 15 minutes on the seaplane). This is their web site: http://www.jonahs.com.au/ . Balzac's is: http://www.restaurantbalzac.com.au/ .

Go to: http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/ for diners reviews of all Sydney's restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Whale Beach
Whale Beach
80 Reviews
Whale Beach, Australia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Hi tempic74

Twice in the last month I have eaten at Restaurant Arras which is on HIckson Road at Walsh Bay - it is amazing and very, very different from many other restaurants. It seems to be little known and little talked about but it is a wonderful, special restaurant. It is Modern British food but don't let this put you off - the Petit fours and the bread are incredible - never seen anything like the plate of petit fours.

cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Great restaurant for special occasion dinner

Dear templc74,

I am ashamed to say that rather than re-type alot of info which may help you I am including links below to three reponses to very similarly worded questions previously put to the Sydney Forum of TripAdvisor. If you look these up there are many excellent suggestions from both others and myself which may help you. The poster Ellemay is a galloping gourmet and her insights are always quite helpful. If you don't mind travelling up in a small seaplane and landing on the Hawkesbury River about 65 - 70 kilometres from Sydney the Berowra Waters Inn is a very pleasant place to go to. The seaplanes run from the jetty at Rose Bay adjacent to the Catalina Restaurant, about which I have rather mixed opinions. I hope the responses in these links will help you a little.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k1850…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k1774…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k3565…

Kind regards,

Tony_C_Syd.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Hawkesbury River
Hawkesbury River
83 Reviews
Berowra Waters Inn
Berowra Waters Inn