We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank-you Sydney

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Thank-you Sydney

Last weekend Mr40ish & I, sans kids, spent a fabulous couple of days in the Harbour city and we both agree it was probably our best trip ever to Sydney. Apart from catching up with lots of fabulous friends, visiting a good trade show and spending time together we should give credit to a number of reasons why our trip was so great.

The Four Seasons Hotel - we often opt to stay in the latest uber cool boutique places and have had many great experiences over the years. But there is a lot to be said for good old fashioned service and attention that only these old brand hotels offer and only the career Bell Captain and Concierge seem to understand.

Sure, its a little '80's' still ( I remember my parents going there in the 70's when it was The Regent and a BIG deal,lol !) and the rooms are a little on the small size but they have been refurbished, the views are great, the location perfect and the bed is probably the best we've ever slept on. Honestly it must be filled with fairy dust and fluffy clouds or something.

Review to come.....

The Sydney resturant scene continues to thrive and again the standard is so high. We ate at Spice Temple and Sepia, both displaying an extremely high level of professionalism and quality of the food. Spice Temple in fact lost our booking ( had it down for the following week) but didnt bat an eyelid as they quickly found a spot for us regardless. One meal was a bit overpowering ( i.e we really dont know what it tasted like as our taste buds were completed annihalated - sometimes less is more) but we were given free cocktails to make up for it - gotta be happy with that.

Drinks at Establishment, Rockpool and Altitude at the Shangri-la were again an enjoyable experience and we really couldnt fault anything - especially the views and the French Martinis at Altitude.

The Australian Hotel in The Rocks is an original 'pub' that is refreshingly unrenovated ( hooray!)and their pizzas are as good as you hear. A must do for o/s visitors.

The Paddington Markets are bigger and better than ever with some really great stuff in the Emerging Designers Section. I purchased some fantastic original jewellery for a friends birthday and Mr40 reckons he had the best 'market massage' of his life.

So all up a great weekend and lots of fond memories already. To be honest our preference for short grown up escapes is usually Melbourne but I have to see on this occassion Sydney really turned it on ! Top marks !!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Thanks 40ish, glad you enjoyed your stay :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Maybe it was the company?

Or just leaving the kids behind ; )

I'll agree re the FS for service..it tops Shang hands down.

interesting to hear about Spice temple...the fear of the spices has made me hesitant

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Gee 40ish, you sure did pack a lot into your short stay !!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Fabulous mini trip report !!!!!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Hi 40ish

Sounds like it was a very romantic weekend - just the 2 of you!!!! I wish I had been there .

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank-you Sydney

Sounds like a great weekend! Thanks for sharing.

7. Re: Thank-you Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:15