We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please!!!

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please!!!

Hi

I'm travelling to Australia for a once in a lifetime trip with my 9 year old son to see U2 in Melbourne next March. We want to stay for 3 nights in Sydney but I'm not sure whether we should be in the City or by the beach. Having read a lot of the comments already posted, I'm tempted to go with Coogee, but can anyone give me any tips as to what I should do, bearing in mind I've got a 9 year old boy in tow who doesn't do shopping, but loves the beach! (He WILL get taken to the Opera House, though!).

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please!!!

Coogee is certainly a nice beach, and March is certainly still swimming season (but right near the end, so the days can be variable); still, I don't know if I would choose Coogee as a place to stay with only three days in Sydney; for a start, if you happened to get rain for those three days, there goes your swimming, and, frankly, there's nothing much else at Coogee anyway! All you can do is get on a bus and head back toi the centre of the city!

My advice would be to stay in the CBD and travel out to the beaches (there are several just as nice as -- or nicer than -- Coogee, and they are all very accessible by bus or ferry from the city) whenever you choose. Manly Beach, for instance, is a great trip from Sydney, even if there weren't a beach at the end; you take a ferry (30 minutes) which goes the full length of the harbour, past the Bridge and the Opera House.

In fact, if you did decide to stay at a beach instead of in the city itself, Manly would probably be a better option than Sydney, anyway. As far as transport between the beach and the city is concerned, the time is about the same as from Coogee, and the trip from Manly beats the Coogee bus hands down. Also, there are a lot more activities at Manly: there's a fun pier and a shark aquarium, and there are several pleasant walks which take in rock pools and enclosed harbour beaches (in case your son is a bit overwhelmed by the waves at the ocean beach.... Manly is fortunate in having both types of beaches). Manly has a wider variety of accommodation, also -- everything from a couple of backpackers places (one directly opposite the ferry wharf)to a luxury hotel -- I think it might be the Crowne Plaza -- which is right at the ocaen beach.

If you do decide to stay in the city itself, there are two areas to choose: the nicest area is called The Rocks, and it is right near the water and the ferries.... practically under the Harbour Bridge. It's also the priciest part of Sydney.

In your case, a better option may be Darling Harbour, which is more reasonably-priced, and has a lot of kids' activities nearby: the Aquarium, the Powerhouse (Science) Museum, the Maritime Museum (you can go on a submarine), and a playground with the best carousel in Sydney. It's close to Chinatown, too, and that means a lot of cheap eateries. Darling Harbour is actually within walking distance of Circular Quay and the Rocks, but there is a monorail, a tram, and a ferry (from outside the aquarium) to make this a more varied experience. If you plan to do a lot of travelling by ferry (and you should -- it's the best way to see Sydney, especially if you have a 9-year-old in tow), you will be happy to know that there is a one-day ticket called the Daytripper Pass which covers all the ferries (except for a couple of ultra-fast ones) plus all trains and buses, costing $AUD15 for yourself and $AUD7.50 for your son.

Taronga Zoo will be great at that time of year, so add that to your schedule; it's accessible by ferry, also.

Have a great time!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please!!!

Coogee is a lovely beach but with children I agree with Alan that Manly would suit you better as more activities.

WHAT TO DO IN MANLY:

Manly Cove – Manly Wharf - information centre

The Corso – Pedestrian walk from wharf to beach

Cabbage Tree Bay – Fairy Bower rock pool

Former St Patrick’s Seminary – 1885 catholic church

North Head – view Sydney Harbour and cliffs

Old Quarantine Station – book tour

Collins Beach – Historic sight and beach

Ocean world Aquarium

Manly scenic walkway to Spit Bridge coastal walk.

Learn to surf through manlysurfschool

Walk to Shelley Beach have coffee half way- Bower Restaurant

Ghost tours at Quarantine Station- North Head five minute taxi ride.

Walk to Fairlight Beach from Manly Wharf

Walk promenade to Queenscliff then to Queenscliff lagoon.

Listen to music at the Boatshed

Catch ferry to city...35minutes

Catch Jet cat to city...15minutes

www.sydneyferries.onfo/ timetable.

Where to Eat.

Dinner Le Kiosk – Shelley Beach

Dinner Out of Africa – Manly Wharf

Lunch at Steyne Hotel upstairs overlooking ocean.

Dinner at The Cove – Manly Wharf

Dinner at Whites...three minute walk from Radisson Kestrel Hotel

Dinner at Italian Restaurant...second shop upstairs beginning of Corso (Manly Wharf)

Fish and chips – Ocean foods (take away).

Drinks at Manly Hotel – Manly Wharf.

Drinks Barking Frog Restaurant and Bar.

Cerutis Street Bar – Sydney Road Manly

Drinks at Manly Pacific Hotel - bar

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please!!!

I agree with alan. Darling harbour is an ideal place to stay for 3 days with a 9 year old. There is so much to do there for him and you can take him to the beach- Coogee is lovely.

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please!!!

Thanks so much for all your help. I think we'll probably go to Manly. Does anyone have any hotels/apartments they could recommend - preferably on the pacific coast? I need 2 rooms ideally.

Thanks again

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please!!!

The hotel that I mentioned earlier as being "right at the Ocean beach" isn't (as I thought) the Crowne Plaza -- not any more, anyway (to be fair, the big companies seem to swap hotels every couple of months, so the names change at a dizzying rate). It;s the Radisson Kestrel, and, if money isn't an object, that wouldn't be a bad place to choose. Certainly, there is no hotel closer to the main beach, and I'm sure the standard of accommodation is very high. It's at 8 - 13 South Steyne, and I'm sure will be listed on many booking sites..... or the hotel may well have a home page.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please!!!

Hotels

Manly Pacific Hotel – run by Novetel. -Beachfront

Radisson Kestrel Hotel - Beachfront(the best) read review on this site.

Periwinkle Guest House – opposite Manly Cove

Apartments:

Aquablu Holiday Apartments – Beachfront 5 star

Quest Grande Esplanade – Manly Cove harbour view 4 star

The Park Holiday Apartments – 4 star

Peninsular Holiday Apartments – 4 star

Pacific Harbour – Victoria Pde Manly – 3 star

St Louie Apartments – Victoria Pde 3 star

Nth Steyne Holiday Apartments – Beachfront 3 star

Santa Fe Holiday Apartments Victoria Pde Manly.

Manly Beach Resort

Manly Paradise motel/apartments – Beachfront – 4 star (best)

Nautica Holiday Apartments – New

Waterside Holiday Apartments

www.manlyparadise.com.au

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please!!!

C'mon Tel...you're the Manly expert.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please!!!

Hi Jacko

I think you have just put me on the spot. Just because I have recently spent two weeks on holiday in Manly does't make me an expert but thanks anyway.

Personly. If I was going to Sydney with a nine year old son and only staying for 3 nights I would stay in the Darling Harbour area. There is so much to see there and one evening I would take him to the Imax Cinema to see a 3D film as they are fantastic. If you wanted to do a beach then Manly is great and easy to get to for a day by ferry costing A$12 return per person. Not sure if it is cheaper for a child. If he likes zoos then Teronga Zoo is one of the best I have been to, so well kept and in such a good location, easy to get to by ferry. As hes not old enough to do the bridge climb take him up the Pylon for some great views of the harbour, there were lots of children up there when we went and they all seemed to be enjoying it. Have fun Tel

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please!!!

Forgot to mention. We had an appartment which we booked with manly-seaside.com. It was great and they have a good selection of accomodation to chose from. Tel

UK
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please!!!

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your comments. I'm now having to decide (I think!) between the Grand Mercure Apartments at Darling Harbour, an apartment in the Trident building in Manly and the Radisson which Ellemay mentioned. They all seem pretty much equal in the amount of money I'll have to pay.

Anyone have any experience of Grand Mercure or Trident?