We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas and feedback

Level Contributor
139 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas and feedback

I am looking at visiting Sydney either on 23 October for 8 nights or otherwise 1st of Nov for 8 nights from NZ - any opinions on when is the better date especially weather wise. I have limited mobility and we will not be renting a car therefore need to stay in a hotel close to the main attractions and that has easy access to public transport, we are looking for something that is reasonably priced - any suggestions of the best areas to look at ?? or hotel ideas??

In terms of activities i want to go to the opera, do some shopping, head to the beach and the blue mountains look like a must do

Queen Victoria Building (QVB)
, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Rocks Markets
Farmers Markets, , Flea & Street Markets
Brett Whiteley Studio
Art Galleries, Art Museums
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,116 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas and feedback

Hi Nicmac

your dates are only a week apart, so there won't be much predicable difference in the weather between them. The weather at that time of year is changeable. It can be quite warm, high twenties or even higher, then next day it can bounce back down to max in the teens. It's a lottery.

If you're here 8 days, and with the things you've listed, I would say consider aiming for something on the route for the fee CBD bus or near train stations such as Wynyard which has lifts down to the platforms. St James and Museum train stations only have stairs no lifts.

The others on the forum are way more knowledgeable than me on specific accommodation options and no doubt they will pipe up.

Heading to the Opera, you might be advised to get a cab to drop you off at the door, otherwise it's quite a long walk in from circular quay. Also access into the theatres at the OH is not very mobility friendly. You may need to arrange help from the staff to avoid the many stairs to the Opera Theatre. You can call, or just head to the office on the road level and ask for help when you arrive. If you need an aisle seat, call the box office to book your tix. Don't hang about, try to book your seats earlier rather than later. Shows often sell out and if you need to be picky about where you sit you'll be wise to get in early.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas and feedback

Excellent advice from Snodge...just to add - look at the Travel Lodge at Wynyard Station, its very reasonably priced.

or Old Sydney Holiday Inn. wotif.com/hotels/old-sydney-holiday-inn.html

Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas and feedback

Hello hello,

I don't think there will be much difference in weather between the last week in October and the first week in November, as Snodge said, things will be change around from day to day, unless you happen to visit during one of those times when a high- or low-pressure system just sits on the city for days on end. I'd pack a light raincoat or water-proof jacket and a light jumper and then just your normal summery gear.

The centre of the city has a number of hilly streets, which can sometimes be an irritating mobility issue. The Wynyard area is pretty good in this respect than other areas of the city, so the previous suggestions about staying around there are good ones.

The City of Sydney council has useful accessiblity information about the city (including a good accessiblity map and information on transport option) on its website: …nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/…Default.asp

Looking at the Opera House webstie, there are three operas on around the time you're thinking of visiting - The Marriage of Figaro, Rigoletto and Der Rosencavalier. You might want to check the calendars for the performance dates, as that might be something to consider in choosing between your two possible timeframes (I think the Marriage of Figaro closes on 23 Oct). From memory, the Opera House runs a shuttle service between Alfred Street, Circular Quay and the main door for people who might not be able to walk the distance along the waterfront - give them a call to confirm. The walk, though, is level and quite enjoyable of an evening.

As for shopping - much of the shopping area of the city centre are located in a fairly compact area roughly lying between Martin Place, George Street, Park Street and Elizabeth Street, all pretty easy to get around, though Martin Place and King Street do have quite a steep slope. Additionally, Westfield Bondi Junction has som excellent shopping, and is easy to reach by public transport (catch a train from Martin Place station [if you need a lift, this might not be your best option, as I'm not sure if that station has a lift - Town Hall station does]; or catch a bus from Circular Quay or Elizabeth Street).

If you want to go to the beach you have lots of options. You could catch the ferry to Manly: the ferries are easily accessible and the ocean beach is a level walk from the ferry terminal. Alternatively, acceeeible buses run from the city centre (Circular Quay or Elizabeth Street) out to the Eastern Suburbs beaches. My suggestion for the east would be Coogee, which is a good place for a swim, too, as the water is calm (there aren't surf waves at Coogee). Hopefully the weather will be good for beachgoing!

Blue Mountains - I know you said you weren't going to rent a car, but if you could just for one day, that would be very helpful in visiting the Blue Mountains, as many of the most interesting places, lookouts etc are most easily accessed with a car. That said, there are a few websites - like this one …nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/… - that give tips about what places in the Blue Mountains are easily accessible. You might consider contacting the Blue Montains tourism officials - http://www.visitbluemountains.com.au/ - to see if thay have any tips, such as accessible bus routes, or the best way to get from the various train stations in the Blue Mountains to sights of interest.

Happy trip planning!

4. Re: Ideas and feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:18