We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney accommodation

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sydney accommodation

My husband and I are planning a trip to Sydney in April. We don't want to stay right in the city centre so are looking for an area on the outskirts within easy travel distance to the city and attractions but also more of a holiday resort so we can spend days relaxing by a pool/beach.

Can anyone recommend some locations please and also some accommodation in the area.

We are looking to stay for approx 8 nights and then travel up to Cairns.

The budget is ideally between £600 to £1k max for the 8 nights.

Thanks for your help in advance.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney accommodation

for sydney look at manly, coogee, bondi.

look at www.wotif.com for a range of accommodation. compare prices directly with the establishment selected before booking.

www.stayz.com.au will give u a range of non hotel style accommo. $a250/night should not be too much of a problem.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney accommodation

The "outskirts" of the city centre could also take in Newtown, Glebe, Leichhardt, Rozelle too. There are some B&B's in Glebe as well as some hotels in nearby areas but read the reviews first.

Recently we stayed at The Quest Apartments in Missendon Rd Newtown and that was very handy to buses going into the city and close to good pub food too. The apartments were very clean and had everything we needed - I forgot to do a review !!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney accommodation

Hi,

For beach - Manly is perfect for relaxing with the added bonus of having some great cafes and restaurants at your finger tips. See link below for additional info.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-d257487/Sydne…

For accommodation wotif.com/hotels/australia-sydney-manly-hote…

April this year the weather was lovely and the water temperature 22c most days.

Manly is easily accessible by ferry or jetcat operating from Circular Quay(city)to Manly Wharf, the short walk up the Corso leads to the ocean beach.

EM.

Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney accommodation

Yepp.... as suggested, Manly would be my pick too

It seems to have everything, with the added touch of a fairly quick ferry ride across the most beautiful harbour in the world :)

Iru

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney accommodation

Ditto - Manly would be my choice too.

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney accommodation

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I will look into Manly now.

Michelle

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney accommodation

Stayz has one dodgy provider of accommodation in Sydney.

Olympic Cottage in Strathfield took our Credit Card number over the phone.

We did not sign an authority to debit the credit card. Nor did we do any booking in writing.

I told the owner that she could not debit the card. I would do a bank transfer if I wanted the September accommodation.

I did not do a bank transfer into her account as her accommodation is too expensive.

Stayz illegally debited 3 payments off our credit card for accomodation we did not want.

This provider also had the cheek to charge 6% bank fees and 15% cancellation fee.

3 disputes have been lodged with our Bank to reverse the charges.

Reputable serviced apartment providers like Waldrof take the credit card details, but do not debit it, until 72 hours prior to arrival date. One can cancel the booking 72 hours plus prior to arrival date, without incurring any costs or charges.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney accommodation

Stayz has one dodgy provider of accommodation in Sydney.

Olympic Cottage in Strathfield took our Credit Card number over the phone.

We did not sign an authority to debit the credit card. Nor did we do any booking in writing.

I told the owner that she could not debit the card. I would do a bank transfer if I wanted the September accommodation.

I did not do a bank transfer into her account as her accommodation is too expensive.

Stayz illegally debited 3 payments for accomodation we did not want.

This provider also has the cheek to charge 6% bank fees and 15% cancellation fee.

3 disputes have been lodged with our Bank to reverse the charges.

Reputable serviced apartment providers like Waldrof take the credit card details, but do not debit it, until 72 hours prior to arrival date. One can cancel the booking 72 hours plus prior to arrival date, without incurring any costs or charges.

Edited: 01 July 2010, 12:54
Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney accommodation

Thanks for all your help. We will be in Sydney over Easter and finding accommodation in Manly is a lot more than we wanted to pay, mainly due to rubbish exchange rate.

Found an affordable apartment at Huntley Cove. Can anyone give advice on this area please?

I have also found one at Bondi Beach but a bit concerned it will be really busy this time of year?

We will be in Sydney for 9 days so any advice on what to see would be fab.

Thanks for your help so far.

Michelle

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney accommodation

Where in Huntly Cove? Is it near the ferry wharf?

Easter is quite late in April when the weather will be starting to cool a little, so Bondi wouldn't be as busy then as during the summer. Which apartment are you looking at there?

For things to do have a look in the box on the right hand side of this page under "top questions"....lots of information there.

Edited: 08 August 2010, 22:32