We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning on travelling the east coast

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
1 post
Save Topic
Planning on travelling the east coast

Hi, I am planning to travel the east coast of Australia for 6 months . I am not sure to come this year or next year. I am the sort of person who is happy to be at the beach and enjoying the sun. so i have been told that the best time to travel would be in November as this is the summer time and that the east coast is the where you can find beaches.

I am travelling alone i live in Scotland currently although i am nervous of travelling alone i am confident that i would be able to meet friends on my travels.

I have had a look at the oz experience trip which i am impressed with.

I am at a very early start of planning and don't really know where to start, i think it will be more next year i will travel as this will give me plenty of time to research save and plan.

I would be very grateful for anyone who can help me with info on the east coast, hostels i can live in, how easy it is to meet people.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning on travelling the east coast

At this stage I would agree that November is generally a good time to start to travel, it will allow you to acclimatise before it gets really hot- then you will find yourself in one of our best seasons - Autumn at the end of your trip. So definitely the right time to come. Don't change it.

As for your other queries I would read through other peoples reviews on this site and the FAQs until you are ready to make some further decisions.

My cousins from Germany came over and did an east coast self drive and they just stayed in caravan parks, saw koalas in the wild, went surfing etc. They really enjoyed it and really didn't plan much.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning on travelling the east coast

You can find beaches all around Australia, it's an island (or two... or three...) and where the land meets the sea, well, beaches happen. Unless it's cliffs, like the Great Ocean Road, but even there you will also find beaches. I think the things to remember are, the east coast is the most populated so finding transport and towns to stop at will be easy, the southern part of the country has four seasons and the north has tropical wet and dry seasons so take that into account when planning when/where to start and finish, and January is the busiest time (certainly in southern beach towns) as it's the main summer school holidays. Do look at the FAQ's and Trip Reports as suggested.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning on travelling the east coast

The east coast is a good place to start. Australia's three biggest cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane) lie on or close to the east coast, there are good roads up and down the length of the east coast that you can drive on (and lots of interesting villages and towns in between), and for a great deal of its length there are also trains and/or bus services to help you get to places.

http://www.yha.com.au/

is the Australian youth hostel site - they are all over Australia and easy to get accommodation in.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
345 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning on travelling the east coast

Hi,

I travelled to Australia on my own 2 years ago. I only went for three months though (from June to September) so you will have a lot more time.

I was lucky that I had family in Melbourne and friends in Sydney to stay with that it wasn’t until I got to Brisbane that I was on my own. I travelled up the east coast on the greyhound coach Brisbane there as far as Cape Tribulation (visited Noosa, Fraser Island, Town of 1770, Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Townsville, Magnetic Island, Cairns, Port Douglas, Cape Trib) and booked and paid for my bus ticket, hostels, excursions etc. with Tribal Travel (www.tribaltravel.com.au). They are a travel agent for backpackers. I actually didn’t do any of this until I got to Brisbane!!! I found them really helpful. I told them what I wanted to do, what I didn’t want to do and they also knew I was travelling solo, that I was slightly nervous about it and I was on a budget. You should check out their website. Some of the tours I went on were excellent (especially the tour to Fraser Island) There are tonnes of people travelling solo in Australia so you will have no problem meeting up with people where ever you go.

It was their winter when I was there so it was never too hot any where I went which suited me fine.

5. Re: Planning on travelling the east coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 06:16