We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Hi,

we are doing a family driving holiday in January -

Sydney to Great Ocean Road.

Wanted to stay in Tathra but left it too late, have the choice of Batemans Bay, Moruya Heads or Narooma for 3 nights before heading to Lakes Entrance.

The kids would love to see kangaroos in the wild.

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

I'm not familiar with Narooma (only the occasional day trip down there) but of Batemans Bay and Moruya I would choose the former. Moruya was the main town when I was a child but since then Batemans Bay has been much more go-ahead (in some ways good but in some ways bad, eg, the expansion of shopping facilities has been good but modernisation at the expense of the great old waterfront fish shop is very sad). There are lots of accommodation and dining options (though I've heard Moruya now has an excellent restaurant but with kids you may prefer more casual places anyway). You can feed the kangaroos and other animals, and hold snakes, at Birdland Animal Park http://www.birdlandanimalpark.com.au/ and you can see kangaroos in the wild at Murramarang and at Pebbly Beach just north of the Bay (the road to Murramarang is easier). Mogo, about halfway between the Bay and Moruya, is worth a visit. Attractions include Mogo Zoo http://www.mogozoo.com.au/ and Old Mogo Town http://www.oldmogotown.com.au/ and the shops along the main street. There are both surf beaches and sheltered beaches close to the Bay. I think most patrolled beaches are along Beach Road to the south, I'm not sure about the ones just to the north. There are cruises up the river and even if you don't go on one, if you are on the waterfront at the right time you can watch the bridge open. There is usually a carnival/circus set up opposite the Batehaven shops in early January. I'd suggest booking as soon as you decide on a place, the Bay becomes little Canberra by the Sea during the summer holidays. If you are after self-contained accommodation I've noticed holiday rentals advertised on this site, but I suspect for January they might be minimum weekly rentals. allhomes.com.au/ah/…11160210

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Mogo is really nice, close to Batemans Bay - nicer than Batemans Bay and offers tranquility and a number of attractions, including the really high standard Mogo Zoo. The village itself is very pleasant. I have stayed at a lovely house called Tomaga Hill and can thoroughly recommend the lovely hosts. Its a lovely cottage - really nice bedrooms (can kids shrare a large bed or not?). www.southcoast.com.au/tomagahill/index.html

Otherwise try the Broulee/Tomakin/Mogo area as a possible alternative. The environment in this area is very beautiful, the beaches are so clean.

Edited: 20 July 2010, 23:15
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,893 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Moruya and Mogo are not on the coast but inland several Kilometres. As a holiday venue I would agree with either Batemans Bay area or Broulee. Batemans Bay is a large well equipped town with lots of facilities such as restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, good shopping and a movie theatre. It is also the start point for Clyde river cruises etc. Broulee is much more of a village atmosphere with limited facilities but there is a good ocean beach. In either place you will be in peak period and would need to book accomodation early.

Narooma is also a pretty coastal town with good facilites.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 00:48
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

It just occurred to me, the OP said Moruya HEADS which would be at the head of the river a little way out of town. It really depends on what you're after. Some googling reveals that there's a caravan park with cabins there. I imagine being away from the main area it might be cheaper, and it looks close to a beach. So if a relaxed time in affordable accommodation in a quiet area handy to a beach, but still within driving distance to any attractions you wish to visit, is what you're after, then Moruya Heads could suit. On the other hand if you're planning to visit multiple attractions and want fast food outlets and supermarkets handy, and enjoy the buzz of a busy coastal town in summer, then Batemans Bay would be more convenient and lively. Xian's suggestion is interesting too, I didn't know about accommodation in Mogo itself. That would be very convenient to some of the attractions, and about a 10 to 20 minute drive to anywhere else, in fact checking the website it's closer to the beach than the town of Mogo itself. Looks very nice. I recall there's accommodation at Broulee too, which as Xian said has lovely beaches. I also perhaps should have mentioned that Murramarang, where the kangaroos are, has accommodation http://www.murramarangresort.com.au/

Please get back to us with what you decide, and also if you want any further details as some of this is based on guesswork.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

I've been travelling to the coast all my life and as others have said I would definitely check out Broulee. It has one of the nicest beaches in that area. I have been there many times and there is a holiday park right on the beach with nice cabins. Check out broulee-beach-holiday-park.nsw.big4.com.au/

Also Narooma is a lovely place, I would say its the nicest of the 3 you have listed. I once stayed at a holiday park there with some friends that was amazing but I cant remember for the life of my what it was called :( Also walking distance to the beach. For mine Batemans Bay is a big too big and doesnt really have that quaint coastal town vibe....

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Hi susie,

Narooma is arguably more beautiful than BB, and closer to Lakes Entrance by a fair distance.

Narooma has a woolies, even a cinema, and heaps of little fishing spots for the kids to wet a line. Also good spots to eat, from bistro upwards.

Moruya Heads is a little way out of Moruya and generally much quieter than all others, Moruyas not the most exciting place though (IMHO).

Broulee has a very safe beach for the kids, Tomakin even more so (no waves at all on a nice day).

Just south of Narooma out of town is a relatively nice, large van park/camping ground - www.islandview.com.au which fronts onto the marginally less populated Corunna beach- its all pretty hellishly crowded down there at Xmas ..too many Canberrans :-).

Less than 10 minutes south of islandview is Mystery Bay another great swimming spot for the kids and adults alike.

BB will be like Bondi at this time of year...unless you like that kind of thing, but it does have a decent shopping/mall area and all the Maccas and KFC etc. (none further south)

Dont miss Mogo Zoo, which is probably actually closest to Broulee (or Tomakin same same)

If you want to see roos in the bush go North to Murramarang or Durras, or Bawley or Pebbly Beach (the furthest about 30 min north of BB). They are less common as you go south.

You could also try to get to Bermagui instead about 30 min south of Narooma, very nice and good gelati shop !! Kids can swim in the river/ river mouth there very safely.

Book as soon as you can is my recommendation, whatever you decide.

enjoy!

Edited: 21 July 2010, 14:32
Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

I also agree Narooma is the most beautiful spot of the three, however when it comes to beaches, South Broulee in my opinion is the most stunning. Moruya heads has Nth head and South head, just the aerodrome at Nth head (if my memory serves me correct there is a quarry nearby where the blocks of the stone pillars of the Sydney harbour bridge were acquired), with some accomodation at south head and a long patrolled beach (Sth Broulee, Malua Bay, Surf Beach are also patrolled). From Tabourie to South Durras roos are quite common. Pebbly beach is the only spot where you will be able to pat them though.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Yes Matt, you're right about the quarry :-)

I wonder if Susie's made a decision?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Batemans Bay is probably the best choice, you have both the river and the ocean., lots of great restuarants and you can take a boat trip up the river, or spend time at one of the many beaches.

Moruya is inland, and whilst it sits on a river there is really not much there. Narooma is pretty but the activities and restaurats etc are not as centralised as Batemens Bay.

Lots of choices for accomodation in Batemans Bay from camping, motels and units etc (check stayz.com.au). If you are travelling in the school holidays you will need to book early.

You can travel to Mogo easily from the Bay but I wouldn't recommend staying there the only accomodation is in the Gold Town complex.

Jodi

Narooma NSW
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town on the South Coast to stay in Jan ?

Go to Narooma

You wont be dissapointed, They've got beach, lakes, island and bush. Everything from walks to river activities, BBQ boats for hire, a resident seal in the inlet, resturants where you're right over the water or watching the lighthouse.

Check out these places:

www.naroomaholidayaccommodation.com.au/

http://www.islandview.com.au/

good luck