We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many choices

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
So many choices

We are a group of four friends traveling to Sydney for the first time and we've narrowed it done to the following hotels. We'll have two full days in Sydney and want to be able to walk (preferably) or take public transport to get around the city. Any thoughts or is there another hotel that you might recommend? We either need a family room or two rooms at a standard style hotel, but we don't need 5 stars...we like to spend every minute out enjoying the area but want a safe location.

Vibe Hotel North Sydney

Ibis World Square

Rydges World Square - Sydney

The Kirketon Hotel

Thanks in advance!

Stacie

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many choices

These hotels are VERY different from each other... the Kirketon is a strange choice in there, as, if I recall, it's a boutique hotel up near King's Cross, and, frankly, unless you want to stay in that particular area, which is a bit like London's Soho and can get a bit sleazy at night, then it might be the first one to scrub.Not dangerous, by any means.... just a bit dark and foreboding, with the occasional walking-under-the-influence passer-by.

The World Square hotels are on the edge of Chinatown, not particularly close to the harbour, but within walking distance of Darling Harbour, which, at least, is a stretch of water, if not a particularly scenic one. If you are interested in the cinema strip of Sydney (George St), the Sydney Terminal Station area, the Chinese grocery stores and restaurants, or the Imax Cinema, then these hotels will be ideal. Sydney is a small city, really.... at least, the tourist sights are close together and within walking distance of each other (mostly clustered around Sydney Harbour, which, I should add again, is NOT Darling Harbour), so you could really walk to anything from the World Square hotels, and there are plenty of buses going right past. To the Harbour Bridge, the Rocks, and the Opera House would be an easy forty-five minute walk.

This leaves the Vibe at North Sydney, and, just for my taste, this would be the one I'd choose. It's on the "other" side of the Harbour Bridge, which means that it's actually not in Sydney proper. But a stroll across the bridge, with all the wonderful views of the harbour and the Opera House, takes no more than twenty minutes, and, as you descend the stairs at the end, you are actually in the Rocks, which is the nicest part of Sydney -- the equivalent of the French Quarter in New Orleans. I sometimes walk across the bridge and back merely for the pleasure of the views, so you can see that I'd be very "warm" to a hotel which allowed me to do that virtually every time I stepped out the door. And the Vibe is VERY close to the bridge, literally a stone's throw. If the day isn't suitable for walking, there's also a railway station (Milson's Point) right near the hotel, and this is just one stop to Wynyard (near the harbour) and two stops to Town Hall (which is the very centre of the CBD).

If you can get a room facing east or south at the Vibe, you may well get some sensational views; I can't speak authoritatively here as I've never actually stayed there.North Sydney/Milson's Point itself is a pleasant suburb.... much preferable to the sleaze of King's Cross, anyway (though the Cross is probably worth a visit, just to see that side of Sydney.... it's certainly not as dangerous as some people seem to think it is, and, at least, nothing ever closes).

Anyway, there are no "bad" choices in your list, so you could afford to go with the best-value deal. Have you, by the way, had a look at the Russell, which is a 130-year-old hotel right at the harbour's edge, and probably the best-located hotel in the city..... and, what's more, not too expensive, as it doesn't boast such "modernities" as elevators and air-conditioning (but you don't need air-conditioning in a solid old sandstone building, and since it's only two or three storeys tall, the absence of an elevator is hardly a big deal.) I don't know if it has four-bed rooms, however.... but occasionally on the last-minute booking site wotif it has amazing deals on the two-bed rooms (possibly no ensuites for these deals) which might make getting two rooms side-by-side a viable option.

Hope this has been some help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many choices

I would choose the World Square location above any of the others mentioned - easier to walk any where - shops, dining attractions - you won't have to worry about walking around at night - its safe and busy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
829 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many choices

My parents always stay at Rydges World Square when they are visiting Sydney and speak very highly of both the hotel and its convenient location.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many choices

My 1st thought before reading the responses from others was the Vibe North Sydney & after reading AlanJ's excellent descriptions of the areas of each hotel haven't changed my mind....I would pick the Vibe!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many choices

I would not choose to stay in North Sydney (as a tourist).

World Square would be much much much better. At least you are in the middle of the city proper. Shopping and restaurants all at your front door.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many choices

I couldn't imagine anything nicer than walking over the Harbour bridge towards the city each day as a tourist. World square is not a particularly nice area, especially at night.

I think the experts are right on the ball here, the Vibe would be my choice too...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many choices

I certainly agree with AlanJ and SydneySarah055 on Vibe North Sydney. The hotel is in an expensive and the most safe neighbourhood. It is the best place to start your harbour bridge walk and the train station is just across the street that will bring you to CBD (places such as World Square, Chinatown) in two stations. (10 minutes maybe)

Hotels at World Square area are for people who enjoy pub and activities at night. It is relatively safe but not the safest. One can take the free shuttle nearby to Circular Quay (opera house, botanical garden --).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many choices

Of course, staying at The Vibe also gives one the option of taking the ferry over the harbour - a very pleasant way to get into the city indeed :-) it's a very short walk downhill to the ferry from Milson's Point (but uphill on the way back LOL - but you could take the train back, get off at Milson's Point station and walk across the road to the hotel). I'd choose North Sydney/Milson's Point too.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many choices

I stayed at the Vibe Hotel North Sydney for my birthday last year. I wanted a CBD hotel but they were all booked or prices way too high so booked the Vibe instead and it was great! Sure It's not right in the City but transport is literally minutes from the door and from there about 3 or 4 mins to the city by train or a little more by ferry. Plus walking around the lower harbour parks around Kirribilli is just breathtaking.

If you feel you really need to be in the city I would go Rydges but for the price and lovely location I think the Vibe is the way to go.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many choices

Thank you for all of the feedback! I think we are going to book the Vibe Hotel. Have a great day!

Stacie