We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

Hi All

My bf & I are travelling to the US in Sept/Oct this year... it's still going to be on the warm side whilst we are there and I don't really want to be stuck wearing runners every day...

Does anyone have suggestions on other comfortable shoe types / brands I could wear?

Silly question I know but not really having much luck finding many comfy non sneaker shoes hehe

Thanks

Ness

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

I live in my Colorado shoes, and my Joseph Seibels. See if you can get yourself a pair of each.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

wife and I swear by our Merril sandles.

They have great support too. On hikes where the temps are high they are a god send.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 23:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

Ecco brand won't let you down - but pricey - maybe thats what you have to pay for all-day comfort that still looks good. Look for a sale - maybe you can pick up a style you like. I have bought a summer and winter style and never got a blister from them.

No high heel options though if thats what you really want to wear!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

Wait! Wait until you are in the US. Cheaper and much more of a range to choose from. I always come back from US visits with at least 5 new pairs of shoes...

Besides those already mentioned by previous posters - all good IMO - you will come across a brand called Col Haan - you can check out their web site before you go. They are owned by Nike and you can't buy them here. I have a pair of their black patent "killer heels" that I can wear all day for work purely because thy have the Nike trainer gel technology in the shoe. Not suitable for your purpose but an example fo what you can find Stateside.

So - wait is my tip. Take your old runners and then leave them behind when you come home :-)

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

I bought a pair of Rockport shoes.. more like ballet flats really but so comfortable. I wore them day in and day out right across Europe.. shopping by day and restaurants at night.. they were ideal and didn't take up much room. I would head into an outdoor shop and look at their range of walking sandals. These shops stock the most comfortable shoes for exactly the purpose you are after. Remember that good shoes won't come cheap but a good choice will repay you again and again.

The last thing you need is blisters... also.. recommend you buy the shoes asap and ensure they're "worn in" before you go.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

TW-Yachtgal - with my Rockports, my Eccos, my Columbia Hiking Boots - all have been purchased in the US and worn immediately with no issues re blisters etc. According to my Podiatrist, correctly fitted shoes should not need "wearing in". The price differential for the aforementioned brands is so great that I really do strongly recommend to the OP purchasing when in the States.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

PerthiteOZ is probably correct Australians are totally ripped off for clothing/footwear. I was just thinking though if you cannot wait or don't have time shopping as soon as you arrive in the US and want Rockport - I would only buy them at the Sydney city store as the range is humungous compared to the ranges you will find at say an Athletes Foot - where they only sell about 10 styles only. I just looked at

http://www.ecco.com/au/en/collection/women/index.jsp;jsessionid=1A0BA4BB86F0C8D00C26710A68734527.a01

and they do have heels too - so was wrong about that. Ecco hasve a storw in the city also - or Bondi or Chatswood.

Edited: 04 August 2010, 01:26
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,580 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

I agree with Perthite - if you can wait til you get to the States, you'll be a lot better off financially.

Alternatively, you may be able to order them over the Internet / ebay. I just bought a pair of Teva sandals to wear on our forthcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands - all up including postage and the FOREX charges, $AUD44 - a bargain !!

My physio told me with shoes to do the "bend test" - you should go for shoes that have a pretty rugged sole and that are not too bendy. You should be able to bend the toe back a little, but nothing else. If you get shoes like that, you'll have support for your feet.

My rheumatologist recommended Rockports for me and I usually buy them on sale. Otherwise, I wear shoes that pass the "bend test".

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

Agree with the others. Much cheaper in the US.

If it is NYC you're going to you have to check out Woodbury COmmons and you'll really see how cheap it is.

I picked up 2 x North Face Hiking boots for US$25 each (£99+ each in London).

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

…thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/men/footwear/men…

Also these are the ones we use currently:

comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/me/merrell-w…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,580 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need comfortable shoe suggestions for an overseas trip :)

And don't forget Filene's Basement in Union Square - I bought a beautiful coat fully lined - I can zip out the lining to make it more of a multi-season coat - RRP $US150 - cost me $US39.

And at Century 21 near the World Trade Centre site, there are many bargains to be found - we picked up a few bargains there for next to nothing which would have cost a bomb back here.