We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our short break in Sydney

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Our short break in Sydney

Last week we had a 4 day break and decided to visit Sydney again. We were lucky to have very nice sunny days although it was a bit cold. We heard the weather had been disgusting just prior to our arrival..

Day 1 - Arrived hotel, dumped gear and walked to Darling Harbour where we had lunch at Helm, we noticed the new Manly fast cat pulling in so we jumped on and off to Manly we go. We walked to Shelley Beach and around the headland, a beer in the Steyne Hotel before returning to Circular Quay... Dinner that night at the Belgian Beer cafe - very nice!!

Day 2- After an early morning walk to the Botanical Gardens and followed by a leisurely breakfast, we caught a bus to Bondi where we did the coastal walk to Coogee.... fish and chips in the cafe in the park by the beach and then walked back... We love this walk, we have now done it four times. Pretty tired that night so had room service.

Day 3- another early morning walk, breakfast then off to Taronga Park zoo... Although it is many years since we visited, I was expecting something much better. After visiting Western Plains Zoo at Dubbo a few years ago, Taronga fell short of our expectations. Noted they are renovating and improving exhibits, however most exhibits were plain awful. Granted most tourists seemed happy, maybe just not our thing. That night we ate at the Glenmore Hotel on the rooftop, good food and prices, great view despite the cold! We grinned and enjoyed it..

Day 4 - Another cold morning and we walked to Darling Harbour and had a good coffee on the Pyrmont bridge, sat there for awhile admiring the view. Funny the barista was funny, irreverent and grumpy all in one... made for an interesting conversation but the cappuccino was very good and good value at $2.70. A quick look at the Rocks markets but they are the same as they were a few years back, even DW was out of there in 5 minutes flat... probably good for OS tourists.

Time to get back to the hotel and pack up for our transfer to the airport. Next trip we finally will do the Spit Bridge to Manly walk and it will be in summer.

What we noticed this time was prices seemed to be very reasonable, food, coffee, beers , ferry tickets etc

I have always in the past found Sydney to be very expensive to holiday in but we found it reasonable this time... People were friendly wherever we went.

We stayed at Sebel Pier One which was absolutely perfect for us. From here we walked to Darling Harbour, Circular Quay and the Botanical Gardens several times.

Short review -----> tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Thank you Sydney, we had a wonderful stay in your city once again.

Edited: 10 August 2010, 11:08
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our short break in Sydney

How could I possibly forget to mention the beautiful desserts in the Guylian Chocolate cafe at the Rocks!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Thanks for a great review. Sorry to hear Taronga was disappointing, I always loved it but haven't been in years.

Ah yes, Guylian Chocolate cafe, and there's a Lindt as well isn't there? I really should visit both and compare, all in the interests of being a good TA contributor of course :-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Interesting observations on the cost of living...

Sydney was really hit hard by the GFC (our economy is based on financial services) so a lot of stuff got cheaper and seemed to stay that way.

Its a shame the same can't be said for other cities (especially Canberra, where the cost of food is horrendous)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Thanks surfoz, sounds like you enjoyed your stay apart from Taronga zoo. The zoo has been a work in progress for a long time now, & I hesitate to recommend it, particularly to those that have a limited time here.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our short break in Sydney

nice feedback Surfoz - you guys must be fit as fiddles these days ;-)

We have liked the Sebel Pier one in the past too. Pretty central to most things and great views at a reasonable price.

:-)

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Thanks surfoz, I'm heading there this weekend and I was thinking of revisiting the zoo, but maybe we'll give it a miss this time. Good to hear you found things less expensive as I've often felt the price difference between Brisbane and Sydney, except at the supermarket where I've often found Sydney a little cheaper.

I must admit to being a fan of Max Brenner but my wife found the chocolate too rich. For the uninitiated Ill give the website.

www.maxbrenner.com.au/

But I'll settle for the lindt cafe if I have too.

Oscar

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Good to hear about your visit Surfoz, you were certainly lucky to get the good weather, it's been a lovely wet winter this year :o)

Your zoo comments make me determined to finally get out to Dubbo Zoo!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Thanks also for your trip report.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Thanks for that link Oscar :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our short break in Sydney

Oscar, we had a really great weekend in Sydney a few months ago too. Unlike Surfoz we pretty much spent the whole time eating and drinking - perhaps its time to take a leaf out of his book,lol....;-)

not sure if you saw my brief JBR back then but here is the link just in case it helps cover all bases for you.

Have fun !

ps. I love Max Brenner too although I have to confess to having a hot chocolate down the GC recently that was so strong I would defy anyone to have more than one !