We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coupon for Free Opals

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Coupon for Free Opals

I was in Sydney a year ago and I found a coupon/guide book at the bus station that had a coupon for a free opal from the opal museum if you are a visitor with a departure ticket or itinerary that proves you are not a native Australian. I have searched online to find the info but haven't found it anywhere. I work for a travel company and would like to advise travels of this amazing deal...does anyone have information or know of the coupon or book I am looking for? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

No I haven't seen a coupon but IMO, the "free" opal won't be much chop at all.

If anything, it's likely to be a triplet and tiny little opal to boot, and if it is set into metal, then that will probably be fake "gold" or fake "silver".

When we came back from our cruise to NZ, in Melbourne someone in the Port issued us with freebie opals but they were junk as noted above.

IMO, you are better off advising your clients to shop around for a good quality opal rather than wasting some of their sightseeing time hunting down a freebie which will probably be of questionable value and quality.

2. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 04:35
3. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 September 2010, 05:03
Edited: 15 September 2010, 05:03
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

If you can get a free opal on presentation of a coupon, the value of the opal will be roughly zero. It is just a way of getting people into the shop so that they can be given the hard sell.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

For the sake of your travel company's reputation don't even think about advising coupons for free opals. You're just going to shoot yourself in the foot.

As Nick says "the value of the opal will be roughly zero".

Don't embarrass yourself by promoting it.

6. Re: Coupon for Free Opals

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 07:16