We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes shopping in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes shopping in Sydney

Hi all,

Where is good for clothes shopping in Sydney? Looking for high street prices rather than designer. Arriving there in a few days and need some new clothes desperately as I packed with roasting hot weather in mind!

Cheers,

B

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

Pitt Street Mall and Queen Victoria Building(QVB) are probably your quickest if you are staying in the CBD.

The walk way between QVB and Myer & DJ's has a lot of clothing shops with prices from cheap, cheap to expensive, and a good few in the middle.

Myer and David Jones(DJ's) are large department stores with a range of prices (DJ's is on Elizaeth Street, but you can walk through the arcades to reach it).

Other options include some of the chain stores Cue, Sportsgirl, Country Road., and myriad others.

Most suburbs have Shopping Centres, let us know if you're not staying in the city and we will be able to advise you. Sadly, not enough individual 'high street' shops, but Paddington, Balmain & Newtown are relatively close to the CBD and they have some non-chain clothing shops.

There are also a couple of quite good factory outlets.

Lots of shops are putting their Spring & Summer ranges out now, but you should be able to pick up something to suit our current weather. Sunny with predicted top of 18 today - t'shirt weather in the sun, but the breeze is cool.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

It may be finished now, but last time I ventured into the Pitt St Mall it resembled a bomb site due to major construction works.

Much as I hate to endorse shopping malls, the Westfield at Bondi Junction is probably the best all-in-one place for clothes shopping. It has a Myer & DJ's as well as what those from the UK would call High St stores. It also has some stores on the more designer side as well, in case you're feeling flush!

There's trains from Central, Town Hall and Martin Place in the City to Bondi Junction. Once there, you can't miss the Westfield - it takes up most of the suburb.

There are buses from Bondi Junction down to Bondi Beach, so if it's a fine day you could easily combine a trip to the beach or the Bondi to Bronte walk with your shopping expedition.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

Was shopping for hours at both WBJ & the city last sat..& can confirm Pitt st Mall still resembles a bomb site! Mid City Centre (next to Myers) has opened, but probably not a lot there for Beatrix. WBJ is huge & difficult to find things if you're not familiar with the way the complex is structured.

Beatrix if I was you I'd probably head to Myers & David Jones for some of their end of season stuff. Some of the touristy shops at Darling Harbour sell basic sloppy joes, that type of thing at reasonable prices. I had some visiting relatives that found our Oct weather cooler than anticipated a couple of years ago & picked up a few things there.

Don't forget a light jacket of some kind, our August winds have well & truely arrived!

Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

Thanks a million for the contributions all. Much appreciated. I'm staying in North Sydney if that makes any difference. Is that near the CBD? Pardon my ignorance please!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

If you are after the latest cool & funky fashions then the biggest and best 'high street' in Sydney is probably Oxford st at Paddington which is about a 10 minutes cab ride from the city. They also have a great weekend market with an emerging designers section. A very looonnnggg street so wear sensible shoes ! ( and buy ridiculous one there ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

North Sydney is on the opposite side of the harbour from the CBD, but only one or two train stations from Wynyard. From there you can walk up George Street (some clothing shops on the way) to Myers, QVB and DJ's.

You can also take a bus.

Alternatively, stay on the train to Town Hall (sorry - don't know whether you need to change at Wynyard) and walk through to QVB from there.

7. Re: Clothes shopping in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:17