We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Sydney by taxi

singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Sydney by taxi

Will be travelling with elderly mum, who can walk a little, but not far.

I plan to travel even short-medium distances by taxi eg Circular Quay to Darling Harbour/ Central Station to World Square.

Is it easy to hail a taxi off the streets, or do we look for taxi ranks?

Do the taxis have meters ,or add unseen extra charges?

I might book a daytrip that ends at Central Station at 9pm.Is it safe for a lone female traveller (age 60) to catch a taxi from Eddy Avenue to Rydges World Square on a Sunday night?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,512 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,368 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Rydges World Square...
2,206 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

Yes, quite easy to hail taxis on the street. Just watch for the light on top of the "Taxi" sign and the sign itself to be illuminated - that will show the taxi is vacant.

Be aware that taxi change-over time is 3pm, so getting a cab 2:30 - 3:30 can be a bit tricky.

All taxis in Australia have meters. Flag fall and /km charges are displayed on a sticker in the cab, often on one of the windows. Charges increase slightly at night (I think it's between 9am & 6am). Taxis take credit cards and cash (not sure about debit cards). www.transport.nsw.gov.au/taxi/fares.html

Quite safe to catch a taxi from Eddy Avenue at night, but it's a bit congested with lots of buses just there, too. I think a better option is to go through the Country Link section on the upper level, where there's a taxi rank just outside the building. Better lit than the Eddy Avenue site, too.

As with any other large city in the world, keep your wits about you. Rail & Bus stations are rarely the most salubrious spots at night and I don't think Central is much different.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

Your hotel should be able to hail a taxi for you & as already mentioned, generally speaking hailing one on the street is not difficult. There is a taxi rank right at Circular Quay. This map shows other ranks...

…nsw.gov.au/aboutsydney/documents/CBDDisable…

From your hotel you could walk to Elizabeth or George st & catch the free city bus if your mum can manage a short walk...

www.sydneybuses.info/free-cbd-shuttle.htm

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,512 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

If you are departing from Central Station, ask at the Country Platforms as to where the nearest taxi rank is - it may be Eddy Ave or the taxis may drive up the "ramp" - I'm not 100% sure about that.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

Im not sure a taxi driver would be too happy driving from central to world square; it's about 2 blocks in total

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

As you're talking about the Circular Quay - World Square - Central trek, also keep in mind that there is a free bus that runs this route about every 15 minutes. It's the 555 and is typically bright green. Check out the CBD shuttle on the link below:

131500.com.au/faresandpasses/cbdshuttle.asp

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,512 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
252 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

The OP is asking about a taxi at 9pm at night when the 555 isn't running...they were given the info about the 555 bus in post # 2!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

They won't mind, Aussieboy90. And actually, it doesn't matter if they do. There's no minimum distance for a taxi.

When my elderly mother was alive, we often took cabs for quite short distances because she couldn't walk very far, either. We always found the drivers to be very courteous & helpful to her.

It's only a couple of blocks when you're fit, know the area & walking it in daylight - but I wouldn't be all that keen walking across to World Square after 9pm with an elderly lady if I didn't know the area.

Doug - I called Central to see about the rank outside the Country trains area & it is still there. Just out the main entrance/exit on the Corso.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

Thanks for checking that info about the taxi rank Bokhara. I thought I saw it there in late May...but I wasn't 100% sure.

singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

Thank you everyone for the info. Much appreciated & helps with my planning.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Sydney by taxi

and just to add that yes they do take debit cards - but not sure if that is just Aussie ones or international ones. Credit cards from anywhere are fine. Diners Club and Amex are usually turned down due to the high fees drivers and the taxi firms have to pay.