We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet hotels in Sydney?

Hamar, Norway
2 posts
Save Topic
Quiet hotels in Sydney?

We are a planning a 10 days stay in Sydney in the end of november. We are looking for a quiet place to stay, a little outside the most busy and noicy areas, but at the same time in walking distance from Sydneys top attractions. Is this possible?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

If you want to be within walking distance of top attractions you need to be close to Circular Quay/The Rocks or in the CBD (Central Business District).

What is your budget range?

I'd suggest having a look at these booking sites to see what's available in your budget range & then get back to us with a few that appeal to you & we can make comments re noise. (also search these hotels - top left of this page - for reviews).

www.quickbeds.com/hotels/sydney-cbd.aspx

wotif.com/hotels/australia-sydney-the-rocks-…

wotif.com/hotels/australia-sydney-cbd-hotels…

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

As I read your post, one hotel kept popping into my mind: the Lord Nelson Brewery Inn. It's a very old hotel (it advertises itself as the oldest in Sydney, but another pub down the street makes the same claim), and it's quite charming, and in a particularly quiet area at the back of the Rocks... which means that you walk through the nicest, most "traditional", part of Sydney to get to the water (five minutes, maximum) and the Opera House. If you want to walk across the Harbour Bridge, there's an entrance going up just a few hundred metres away. It's leafy, it's "old-world", and, as far as I know, it's not desperately expensive (probably because it is unlikely to have an elevator, being built in the mid-19th century... it's only a couple of storeys tall, anyway, so this is not such a great lack).

It has a web site, which used to have room prices and, I think, a contact email for booking direct. You should be able to google it easily. It's definitely worth a look.

Edited: 17 October 2010, 05:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

The other week I walked past the Somerset Apartments at Darling Harbour (sort of close to DH but not really in it) and I was struck by how quiet this location was but yet how close to significant parts of Sydney it was - Chinatown, Darling Harbour (the walking ramp is about 10 metres up the road), Cockle Bay Wharf etc and the main shopping precinct (Queen Victoria virtually arond the corner), plus Town Hall rail station. Across the road is a new restaurant which is receiving rave reviews (Sepia), plus there were some nice cafes on Sussex Street too. Could be worthwhile to consider - especially if you want extra space for those 10 days. Higher floors may get views of DH.

Edited: 17 October 2010, 06:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

I would think a room at the Lord Nelson Brewery would be quite noisy, unless they have good sound proofing from the pub noise below?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

Having worked across the road from the Somerset Apartments for many years, I wouldn't call the intersection of Sussex and Druitt Streets (which includes the ramp leading onto the Western Distributor) quiet - except, perhaps, on weekends. During the week they are busy traffic thoroughfares well into the night.

Hamar, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

Thank you all for useful comments and suggestions! However, we hav just booked in on Waldorf Apartments at 88 Dowling Street. Any comments to the surroundings of this location? We can still change to something else!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

I can't comment on the "quiet: aspect of the Waldorf area.... it may, in fact, give you everything you want in that respect. But I confess it's not an area that appeals to me; the times I have been down that way at night, it has been more than quiet... it's been gloomy-bordering-on-sinister. It's not far, as the crow flies, to the CBD... but I don't think one walks as the crow flies down that way, and you have your choice of cutting across the grassed areas at the back of the Art Gallery (just great in the day) or down the back streets between William Street and the water (also quite inoffensive during the day, but not a place you'd seek out at night).

Look, it may be that I'm quite wrong in my negative view of this district, and I really hope I am; however, I would have to say, with my somewhat-limited knowledge of the 2010-atmosphere of the area (I know it better from a decade ago), that I'd feel a bit easier if you didn't cease looking just yet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

I think the CBD is preferable - less walking around at night to get to where you want. I would not necessarily advise walking through the Domain etc at night to get to the Circular Quay area. It will be up and down hill for one thing and possibly lonely and too quiet.

Upon another comment I found the Sussex Street to be quiet on a Tuesday - so really did not think noise was an issue as far as world CBDs go. So that area - possibly around Kent or York Streets - off George could be an area where to look around.

Edited: 18 October 2010, 22:13
9. Re: Quiet hotels in Sydney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 05:18