We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney YHA.

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney YHA.

l'm going to stay in a double room at either the Cental or Harbour YHA in Sydney for a week. The Central is cheaper but the Harbour sounds better located. Anbody have any input on these two locations.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney YHA.

Central - restaurants/food will be cheaper in this area. Close to Central Station, China town, Darling Harbour (ferries available), Paddys Markets, closer to trendy/bohemian Surry Hills, Newtown, Ultimo, Broadway. Less touristy - grittier environment/surroundings. But safe and busy, bustling with lots of people from all different nationalities.

Harbour YHA - close to Circular Quay, the Rocks, ferries to Manly, Taronga Zoo, Watsons Bay etc), Botanic Gardens and Opera House, touristy shopping, more expensive food outlets. Surrounds historical Rocks, including the archaelogical dig under the YHA itself. Without doubt great views from the rooftop of this YHA.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 21:54
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney YHA.

My consideration would be what do you plan to do most......Harbour location is great for activities from that area, but getting back there (especially after trains stop) late at night from entertainment areas in other locations can be a time consuming long walk, or an unnecessary taxi fare. Maybe two nights at the Harbour to enjoy the location and being able to walk onto the harbour bridge only minutes outside the front door - do all your harbour/ferry/opera house/rocks area things in that time, and then move to Central, which while is not the centre of the city, is certainly more central for getting to most other places.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney YHA.

i am also interested in this thread. i am traveling solo and am presently booked at the harbour. do either of these places have activities or anything to break up the day? which is more sociable? i want to try to hit all the neighborhoods for shopping, eating, and going out at night. is getting back to the harbour that big of a deal?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney YHA.

The Sydney YHA has a meeting point on the balcony to about 9pm where people are encouraged to meet each other and get out of their rooms etc. There is a BBQ up there, views of the Opera House and a TV lounge area too. I'd send both concerns an email for more detail to compare.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 06:13
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney YHA.

Also watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YxlNGMwDQ

www.youtube.com/watch…

From Wynyard station the Sydney YHA would be 15-20 min walk.

Edited: 07 January 2011, 06:21
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney YHA.

Sorry but you could also catch a train from Wynyard (just change a platform onto the city circle - no huge deal ) or a bus to CQ and then walk from CQ. Which neighbourhoods do you wish to go to at night?

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney YHA.

not sure. i have 4 nights so i'd like to see as much as possible. still planning but i guess king's cross, darlinghurst, newtown.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney YHA.

Central is possibly better located for getting around faster but it doesn't have the beauty of the Harbour location. Maybe the Bug forum (or other specific backpacker forums) might be more useful to get the answer you need re the sociability comparison.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney YHA.

Thanks for the input, it was a hard decision but we splurged on the Harbour for the view. But we intend to go over to Central to explore the district around it as it sounds like fun. Trific.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney YHA.

Darlinghurst and King Cross are within walking distance of each other, so if you didnt like one, or wanted to maximise time forother nights, both can be combined into one night.

Newtown is a excellent chocie - and best visited by bus - there is a train station and whilst it is on the main west line, only a limited number of trains stop there, especially in the later evenings. There are frequent buses along King St Newtown,and even after regular bus/train services end about midnight/1am the night-ride bus (replaces trains once, or twice an hour on major train lines) uses King St.

Darlinghurst is within walking distance of Central.

Newtown buses and train reach central in about half the time it takes them to continue to Circular Quay.

An other night time area and within short walk of Central is China Town. Darling Harbour is slightly further (far side of China Town).

Getting back to The Rocks/Sydney Harbour YHA has been described earlier as the walk from Wynyard or Circular Quay railway - the bus stops are close by same stations. The later Night Ride bus I believe terminates at Town Hall, so for late returns add another 10-15 minutes to the walking time.

Edited: 08 January 2011, 21:54