We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monkey Mia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Hey guys!

So I've got my working holiday visa and a flight booked to Sydney (from the UK) towards the end of Feb and just wanting some general advice.

I had been making some attempts to find share accomodation before arriving but without much success so I have now decided the best way may be to book a hostel for a couple of weeks and find something once I am there, perhaps along with any new friends I make in the hostel. Would you agree this may be the best way to go? I am hoping to stay at Bondi Beach/Junction. Any advice on good hostels in this area where I am likely to meet people in a similar situation. It is important for me that it is somewhere safe a reputable as I am a girl travelling alone. And how should I go about finding shared accomodation once I am there?

Is there anything else I can organise before I leave? STarting to feel slightly daunted by turning up on my own on the other side of the world without any solid plans!

If any of you are in or will be heading to Sydney on a working holiday at the same time then do please get in touch!

Cwmbran, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

I am in a similar situation, from the UK, heading to Sydney in August, Dont have any solid plans as of yet but I know how your feeling (although obviously your going alot sooner than me and I'm a guy travelling alone),

Staying at the Wood duck hostel in for my first week but need to plan for after that so would also really appreciate all advice on this :)

Edited: 08 January 2011, 18:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Local papers and local real estate agents in the area of your choice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

The 2 major real estate websites that have share accom ads are www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au.

Bondi's local paper is the Wentworth Courier. I know they have a website but I am not sure how many ads they have.

For work try looking at www.seek.com.au. If you're after a bar/waitressing job just pound the pavement or ask people at the hostels.

I don't know of any hostels in Bondi Junction. If you don't find any, just stay at a city one for a few days and in that time head out to Bondi to check some out for yourself.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

You can set up an Australian bank account from the UK to get you started.

commbank.com.au/personal/…default.aspx

nab.com.au/wps/…

You have to be in Australia to apply for a tax file number (you'll need this when you start work), but you can read about what you'll need here:

www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp…

Here's more helpful advice here as well:

yha.com.au/planning-your-trip/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Have a good look through

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/

which is largely targeted at travellers like yourself, and good for share accom., jobs, cars etc. But I think it's a good idea to stay in a hostel for a while to get a feel for the areas you'll want to be in. Bondi is great but public transport to the beach can be a little tedious and after a week or two of that you might decide you want to base yourself somewhere else.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Also check your budget is in line with Sydney rental prices as there was a previous thread where their budget was too low.

To give you an idea - Sydney is more expensive to live in then London.

Yes get accommodation sorted by sstaying in a hostel first then checking through the local papers and what the others above have suggested.

In Bondi we have the Wentworth Courier where you can have a browse on what we have to offer here and the goings on.

digitaledition.wentworthcourier.com.au/

This weeks edition there isn't much but look out for next week.

Also, just like London, we have TNT Magazine. Very helpful for antipodeans.

http://www.tntdownunder.com/

Also be careful as there are a couple of scammers out there as one of my girlfriends found out and lucky for her I knew the prices of the area she was looking at potentially renting. She was looking in Mosman and found a 2 bedroom apartment within 10 minutes walk to the harbour for $200 per week including all bills. She was adament and I told her she was dreaming. Sure enough it was a scam.

If you need help drop us a post here and we'll all be able to help you out with what could potentially be a false advertisement.

Northallerton...
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Our son's been there for almost a year on a WHV and has used a few hostels. We met up with him over Christmas and some of his friends had been staying at a good hostel near the Rocks area (close to the Bridge / Opera House). Don't know the name but it's quite large - 150 beds I think and was catering for all ages.

I think you'd be better nearer the centre for the first few days and there's no need to plan / book everything in advance. Our son made a lot of his contacts e.g. sharing travel / accom via notices placed in the hostels.

Monkey Mia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!

I wasn't aware you could set up a bank account before arriving but I've got that sorted now so that's one less thing to worry about.

I agree now about staying in a more central hostel to begin with. Want to be getting involved with as much as poss so will be best to start off right in the thick of it! I'm pretty sure I will be going for Bondi to settle down though as I've been doing temp work for Lush Cosmetics here in the UK as a quick fix to help my savings and they're looking at hooking me up with a job in Sydney, most likely in the Bondi Junction shop. The factory/offices are a possibility too as that's what I'm doing now, but I understand they're quite far out (near the airport, maybe?), so not so keen on that.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

I know the shop and being based here you have the bus/train station right on your door step so easy access to most places with one bus/train.

Just to let you know that Bondi can be expensive but share with one other or two others and you'll be fine.

You could also check out Waverley.

Monkey Mia...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Working holiday in Sydney starting next month.

Hi again!

I've shortlisted the following hostels...

Wake Up

YHA central

YHA Railway Square

Base Backpackers

Asylum

Glebe YHA

Any thoughts? I think I'm slightly leaning towards Asylum at the moment as it is cheapest and has free breakfasts and free internet access which I've heard is quite a rarity over there!