We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

Hi all. I am arriving at T1 international airport this coming Saturday and want to get to Sydney Central youth hostel where I'm staying. I will have a large heavy suitcase (with wheels) that I can pull along behind me for a short distance but I won't be able to drag it up (or down) stairs. I could either get the shuttle in (I see you can pre book it for $20 return - is this advisable?) which would mean less struggling with the bag, or alternatively get the train in which might mean struggling with the bag up and down stairs. We took a shuttle into the city a year or so ago and it took ages, first going to the domestic, waiting there, then stopping at various hotels and hostels on the way into the central city. The train sounds great, quick and easy, but the suitcase could be a problem. I think the hostel is very close to the station at the other end but does anyone know if there is an escalator at that end?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

Hi Ruby,

The one-way train fare from the Airport is $15. There is a lift as well as escalators at the International terminal - be careful with the escalators, they have bollards at the beginning of the escalator to discourage people taking very large bags on the escalator.

At Central you will come in on platforms 20-21, towards the eastern end of Central. There is a lift at the City end of the platform down to the exit, which is virtually at street level (a slight ramp out on to Eddy Avenue). Turning left into Eddy Avenue, it's 250-300 metres along Eddy Avenue to the YHA.

Safe travels.

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

Hi

I work for YHA and echo the comments above - very accurate description. You will have about a 300 metre walk at Central from the platform that the airport train comes in, out and down Eddy Ave and across to the hostel but it is all flat.

Enjoy your stay!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

Thanks to you both. I favour that as the best option at the moment, saves waiting around for the shuttle and then the slow trip in. Thanks again.

4. Re: Best way from international airport to Sydney Central YHA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 04:18