We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

England
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

I don't think we will be buying a weekly ticket, so how do you pay?

Can you pay with cash, as you board

Does it have to be exact fare only, or is change given

Do you have to buy your ticket at a booth or machine in advance

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

In the city it's pre pay. buy at convenience store, newsagenciy etc. They have a sticker on the door or window usually

England
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

When you say "in the city" what area do you mean i.e. how far out.

What would you do if bussing from Paddington to Bondi or Coogee to the city. Do you just tell the shop where you're going to, and they issue the ticket

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

No you will have to work this out yourself as they willbe ticket resellers not state transit employees - some might help = others may not care so much - (sorry but true).

Pre-pay buses - incl Coogee and Bondi

www.sydneybuses.info/prepay/prepay-routes.htm

You can purchase a single or multi ten ticket. Sounds like you will need a multi ten probably.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 21:12
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

How many people in your party?Where are you actually staying and what do you intend to do here when here?

All these questions will help in answering your question,but yes all CBD is pre-pay,meaning you need a ticket to board the bus and yes you buy them from newsagents and convenience stores witha purple pre-pay sign or mymulti ticket sign.Basically 99% of all these in Sydney now sell them.Also there iare transit shops located at Circular Quay,Wynyard,QVB and Central station manned by transit staff,they can give you the best options.

Also pre-pay,runs along major corridors in and out of the city such as Broadway,Parramatta Rd,City Rd,Victoria Rd and Oxford St,and parts of Anzac Pde,as well as the pre-pay only buses such as all Metro buses and limited stop,express services during peak.Also Bondi Junction interchange is a pre-pay zone as well.

Within the CBD there is a free 555 service,that can get you around,but is usually full.So i suggest maybe buying a mybus 1 and 2 for short and longer journeys,these only expire after 10 trips

Edited: 01 March 2011, 23:09
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Trickster - here's another link to the Prepay part of the Sydney buses website -

http://www.sydneybuses.info/prepay

My understanding is that if you're getting on a bus that isn't covered by the "prepay" requirement, you can pay the driver, and it doesn't have to be exact money.

The Sydney DEs will be better placed to explain how the ticketing system works on Sydney buses, but as an occasional visitor, all I can say is, it doesn't seem simple to me! Single trip fares depend on how many sections you're travelling (a concept many other cities abandoned a generation ago, and hard to work out if you're buying in advance, even for the ticket sellers!), but the zonal system applies for the "MyMulti" tickets (but you can't get a daily MyMulti for a single zone, only for the whole of the Sydney region, so the daily version is expensive)

Edited: 01 March 2011, 23:15
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Not sure if it has changed as years since I used the public transport in Sydney but we would buy a travel 10 blue which was 10 trip ticket. Then if we went an extra section dip twice into machine after asking driver, or if two of us travelling one would dip into machine then hand to the other for them to dip. Was easier than buying a ticket every trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Verdant, the transport fare structure has changed. While there are 10 trip tickets to be bought, there is no such thing as a 'Blue Travel 10' anymore.

Trickster9,

The buses operate on a section system. From Circular Quay to either Bondi Beach or Coogee Beach is 6 sections. From the stop at Elizabeth & Market Sts, it's 5 sections. The sectioning is important as MyBus 2 tickets cover 3-5 sections while MyBus 3 tickets 6-10 sections.

While you can buy the 10 trip tickets, you need to buy them based on section numbers.

In reference to Bondi beach and Coogee beach: The city, out to Bondi Junction interchange (where the train stops) and Randwick Junctions is the pre-pay zone, where from 7am-7pm on weekdays, you must have a ticket before boarding. If you are boarding the bus from either beach, you can pay the bus driver...except I think (but someone else needs to verify this) the Metro buses are also prepay regardless of where you get on. Metro bus routes start with an 'M'.

The sections are clear when you look at a bus route map (via 1313.500.com.au) but to find a map relies on you knowing what bus route you need to take.

If you want to buy the MyMulti transport tickets (for bus, ferry and trains) then the sectioning system for buses no longer applies. You choose a MyMulti ticket based on the zone system for what trains you want to take. All bus and ferry (except the fast Manly ferry) services are included regardless of sections.

While I think our transport system is adequate for the most part, it does itself no favours by offering a confusing ticketing system.

England
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Thanks Two in the party Hotel is Junct Wentworth and Golbourne.

During the 4 days in the city we intend to....

Walk to circ quay Ferry to Manly, come back in the dark to see the harbour at night. walk to hotel

Walk to Paddington Mkt. Bus to bondi, Walk to Coogee Bus back to hotel

Free bus 555 to circ quay. Walk rocks Darling Harb etc and back to hotel

Free 555 to circ quay Ferry to Watsons Bay. Bus back from Nielsen park

So what's the best option in terms of pre bought tickets please?

Flippin' Nora, my head hurts. Sounds fiendishly complicated

But I have had a couple.

Will try to get to grips with it tomorrow. (it's after midnight here)

We didn't book the car till after the 5 days in the city because we thought a car would be an encumberance. now I'm begining to wonder.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Just a name change though now called My Bus 1 Travel 10.

You can validate more than once for a longer journey and more than one passenger can use them. Easiest way in my opinion.

sydneybuses.info/uploads/file/pdfs/corporate…

England
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for bus journeys in Sydney

Thanks Verdant.

I started reading the 9 page document, but gave up on page three. Will try gain in the morning.