We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do first evening in Sydney.

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
What to do first evening in Sydney.

By the time our flight has come from Cairns and we have checked into hotel it will be 1800 hrs thurs 21st April.

Is that a late night shopping night?

Apart from grabbing a quick snack, I was wondering if any of the nearby attractions (eg chineese garden) stay open late on thursdays.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Hi

What hotel are you staying at? Thursday night is late night shopping so shops will be open at 6.00pm.

If this is your first visit to Sydney a walk along the Opera House forecourt might be nice or take a trip to the top of Sydney Tower and get a great view of the beautiful city.

A drink and a bite to eat at a pub at the Rocks, or aybe Darling Harbour (depending on where you are staying and how far you want to walk!).

Jodi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

The shops are open till 9 on Thursdays but according to its website the Chinese Gardens are open from 9.30am to 5.30pm daily, Good Friday and Christmas Day excepted.

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Thanks Marmalade

Jodi........ No it isn't my first visit. lived in mosman , North shore for 3 years in 70s

And had 2 months in 1990.

But I'm out of touch which is why I've been gleaning info off TA.

Hotel is between Hyde Park and Central station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Hi

Darling Harbour would be within walking distance or there is a new (free) bus that does a loop around the city which runs until 9.00pm on Thursday nights if you wanted to go to the Quay.

www.sydneybuses.info/free-cbd-shuttle.htm

Chinatown would also be in walking distance and although Paddy's Market shut at 5.00pm the shops above the market would be open.

Jodi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

At that time of the day, I'd be keeping it local rather than heading to Circular Quay etc., afterall you would have had a long flight. For something to eat, I'd be heading down to Japanese or Thai restaurants in / around the Hay St vicinity. Chinatown area will be open but I can't recommend any restaurants there. And while Paddy's Market will be open Wed-Mon, it closes at 5pm so if you want cheap fresh produce (or cheap souvenirs) you'll have to go there another day.

BTW, in case you had forgotten, Anzac Day is Monday 25th April and your hotel is well located for the Anzac Memorial in Hyde Park, however if you want to go to the Dawn Service, that will be held at the Cenotaph in Martin Place followed by the March up to the Memorial at Hyde Park.

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Thanks for that further advice both.

That's handy about Anzac Day. I'd like to see some of the commemorations. I think it's so important to remember what happened. Several times a week we get news of another Tommy falling in afghanistan.

It's heartbreaking.

Btw I don't know of paddy's market. is it good?

Edited: 02 March 2011, 22:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

If you choose to shop, expect shops to be busier than normal.

Given the following day is Good Friday, shops will be closed and people will be panicking that they have to do without stores for a WHOLE day...how will we all survive???

If you are religiously minded, there may be special Easter services.

The Cook + Phillip Park aquatic centre is open until 10pm. You could go for a swim in the pool. See www.ymcasydney.org/centre/cookandphillip/

Edited: 02 March 2011, 23:03
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Is Paddy's Market good? Well it depends on your point of view. In most cities and places I go to, I usually go to their markets to have a look. They are generally colourful places and a lot of locals go there and sometimes you can get the freshest fruit and veges there. When I worked at World Square, I used to pop down to Paddys to buy fruit and veges as it was so much cheaper than elsewhere.

As for shopping for other goods, well, it has been described as cheap, tacky etc, but others in their Trip Reports have loved it because it is cheap ... just depends on what you're looking for and if you want to buy anything.

You decide - http://www.paddysmarkets.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

Trickster - this link may be useful to you - http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/aroundtown/

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do first evening in Sydney.

That's a great link Doug

Most events are this month so I'll check it out just before we enbark on 12th april