We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

I will be in Sydney 9 - 25th April staying with relatives on the Northern Beaches. I want to take my son away for a couple of nights as I don't want to intrude too much on family, maybe a national park? We wlll be relying on public transport so need somewhere to stay that is accessible without a car and things to do on the doorstep. Mum and son.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

I would suggest heading up to the Blue Mountains for a couple of nights. Perhaps go to Jenolan Caves while up that way... surely all thirteen year olds like caves.. he might even enjoy plugholing or something.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

National Park by public transport is a tricky one. Most NP's do not offer anything other than basic camping facilities and it is BYO everything. There is the Royal National Park south of Sydney but probably only suitable for a daytrip. Lane Cove NP has a caravan park with cabins that you could stay in but it is still on the northern side of Sydney suburban area. Blue Mtns is an excellent suggestion although you would have to go on organised day trips to get around to the attractions as the trains will only get you there. Same for anywhere in the Hunter Valley. Another option would be to book a short break holiday with Countrylink trains - see: http://www.countrylink.info/holidays for details. All your tours, activities and transfers are included. The Dubbo Zoo or the Farmstay trips might suit you?

Another area to consider that is accessable by train is Port Stephens. Alternatively you could look at Canberra - it has lots to keep a 13yo occupied including Questacon, Australian War Memorial and Australian Institute of Sport. All easily accessed with good public transport links.

Edited: 12 March 2011, 23:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

It's hard to suggest places that take you away from the Northern Beaches, are easily accessible by public transport and also have things to do that don't need a car.

One thing to bear in mind is that your visit to Sydney coincides with New South Wales school holidays, so accommodation at most family-popular places may be at a premium.

Kiama on the south coast might be worth considering. It's about 2 hours 30 mins by train from Central Station. The train journey itself is worthwhile, as for part of the trip the train winds along the coastline and you get some great views.

There are a number of motels in Kiama , two quite close to the railway station.

Kiama is picturesque, although it gets a bit of a bagging from Australians because of its main claim to fame - a blowhole (which only blows well when there's a decent south-easterly swell). There's a lighthouse on the headland to provide an alternative background for photo-ops if the blowhole isn't behaving.

In April it might be getting a little cold for swimming, but if you're from Manchester I suspect an Aussie's idea of cold and your idea of cold may be quite different :-)

Kiama has two swimming beaches in the town itself or, if swimming in the surf is not your (or your son's) thing, there's a sea-water rock pool on the headland below the lighthouse, and another across the bay from the harbour.

Just getting there and fossicking around the town (and hopefully fitting in a swim) would take up one day.

Day 2 you could visit Minnamuura Rainforest - a sub-tropical rainforest reserve which is part of Budderoo National Park. It's about 15 minutes' drive from Kiama, a taxi would cost you $30-$40 each way (you'd need to book one to collect you for the return trip). There are two walks - a relatively easy one, a lot of which is on a duckboard path, and the more challenging walk to the upper falls.

Another thought is Jamberoo Recreation Park (waterslides, rides, etc), but if it's just the two of you it might be a bit of a drag for your son unless he had a mate with him. I understand that the Rec Park is running a bus service from Kiama Station until the end of the April school holidays, so at least that would save on a cab fare.

Some links are:

http://www.kiama.com.au/

kiama.com.au/accom_result1/…

http://www.jamberoo.net/

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

Canberra is a great choice but it is a long trip...several hours, to do in 3 days. And here in Oz the scenery is pretty much all the same...not like europe.

My suggestion would be Nelson Bay, in the Port Stephens area (there is no train though) You would take a coach from the city or Hornsby ( you can get a train to HOrnsby and the caoch picks up at the station) It is about a 2 hour bus trip to Nelson Bay.

At Nelson Bay you can take a boat trip out to watch the dolphins. I'm not sure if it is whale season, but there are whale watching trips also. These are half day trips. There are lovely beaches to spend the days and plenty of family friendly restaurants along the marina for dinner.

Of course you could just stay in the city at perhaps Darling Harbour and do the city experiences. At Darling Harbour there is the Aquarium, an Imax theatre, you could catch a ferry to Balmain, so much to see, so little time. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

I'm with snodge, head to the Blue Mountains. Staying at the YHA may interest you, they have tours that leave from there that might be suitable.

yha.com.au/hostels/…

You can do day tours from Sydney to the Royal National Park. I have no first hand knowledge of this company, but it sounds quite good.

http://www.daytoursydney.com.au/

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,154 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

While it might take longer to get there than other places, I think Canberra would be a good choice and you can get there by train or bus.. Once there, there are city buses from Civic that will take you to many sights that you and your son would enjoy. You can easily spend a day in the hands-on science museum, Questacon. You can also easily spend a day in the Australian War Memorial. (My son LOVED that place when he was 13.) You can also go out to the Australian Institute of Sport and take a tour. You can rent bikes to ride about Lake Burley Griffin. If you wouldn't mind renting a car for a day, you could either drive out to Namadgi National Park for some great hikes and animal viewing or drive out to Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve for hikes and animal viewing. If you go to Tidbinbilla, you can also visit the Tidbinbilla Tracking Station and see the space exhibits in the museum and the huge radio telescopes.

I think you could find plenty to keep your and your son occupied for three days or so.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

I think Canberra is another good choice also. My offspring have always enjoyed visiting Canberra. Lots of great things to do there.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

PS - Canberra is a 3 hour trip MAX from Sydney. In Aussie terms - that's a commute to work :)

Canberra
Level Contributor
193 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

www.visitcanberra.com.au

should give you all you want to know about Canberra, and can book accommodation. Phone 1300 554 114 (in Australia or ask your rels to call) and the visitor centre will post their comprehensive brochure free.

Very reliable bus service leaves from Sydney Central railway almost every hour and takes 3h15m - Murrays or Greyhound.

YHA is right in centre of city and has some double rooms. You can get to most places by public transport easily.

Book accommodation before you come though as it can be very tight for last minute booking depending on Parliament and conferences.

10. Re: 2 nights away from sydney with 13 year old son suggestions p

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 04:16