We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Hi

Am arriving business class BA into SYD - have a gap of around 4 hours before next economy domestic flight. Have a BA silver card.

Does immigration take long, is there a fast track?

Cannot see an arrivals lounge on the airport website - is there anywhere to get breakfast/shower etc?

Is there entry to Quantas lounge with BA Silver?

Is there a pay for lounge anywhere?

Is it easier to try a local to airport hotel?

Many thanks

Phil

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Hi Phil,

There are two QAntas lounges at Sydney International & I imagine you'd have reciprocal rights as a BA Club member, as we have with BA.

Good shower facilities & breakfast options in the QF lounge .

sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/T1-Terminal-Lounge…

Danks Street Depot is a great spot for a great coffee and an excellent breakfast, too. danksstreetdepot.com.au/page/danks_street_de…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Hi Phil,

The Qantas First and Business/Club lounges at Sydney international terminal are in the departures area - there isn't an arrivals lounge (unlike the BA facilities at LHR, where it is very convenient for that much-needed post-landing shower, I agree!).

If your domestic flight is with Qantas or Jetstar, with your Silver BA exec club status (equates to Oneworld Sapphire), you will have access to the Qantas Club at the domestic terminals (T2 and T3):

qantas.com.au/travel/…oneworld

There are showers at the T2 and T3 Qantas Club lounges.

As for the time to get through immigration/customs/quarantine, it often depends on the time of day. A lot of flights land first thing in the morning - if you're on the very early BA flight, you may get a quick run through. If you're later in the morning, the lines will have grown... and there is no 'fast track' based on class of travel. Having said that, four hours is enough time to transfer.

There's a Qantas domestic transfer desk in arrivals area, so you can recheck bags and catch the transfer bus to the domestic terminals.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 20:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Sorry Phil, I'm an idiot! Having only used the QF lounge on my way out, I forgot it's in the departure area.

Thanks Aussie Cygnet.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Actually, there is a fast track lane - flight attendants on incoming flights hand out "express" passes to premium class passengers.

As others have said, you will be welcomed at the Qantas Club in T2 or T3 if your onward flight is on QF or JQ.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Having arrived business class with the same FF status as the OP on several occasions with BA and QF, i've never been offered a priority card at Sydney. Maybe because i'm an Aussie. Maybe I look dodgy ;-)

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Thanks to all for your advice - looking forward to the trip

Phil

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

There are also showers available at T1 quite near Danks which Bokhara referred to but they are not in an airport lounge.

UK
Level Contributor
208 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Hello

I wonder if I can ask some questions relating to arrivals

We arrive on BA0015 on a quantas ticket, business class at 0515 and leave Sydney at 0855 on QF 0047 to Wellington on a single ticket.

Our questions/clarifications are

1. We will not have to collect our luggage as it can be tagged through to Wellingtom

2. We will have to go through security screening so should not buy duty free in London

3. We do not have to go through immigration

On the basis of the answers to the above, and on the expectation we will be able to use the Business Class lounge, when approx will we arrive there and how long a wait might we have for a shower. We very much want to scrub up before the final leg and look decent for the relatives welcome line in NZ!!

We return business class in May, assume it will be the same lounge for the QF0301 back to London

Thanks for advice and any tips to make it easier!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

Hi UKtog,

1. Yes, your bags will be tagged straight through to Wellington, especially if you are travelling on a single booking (which appears likely). Even if you're not, as you are on a QF-BA codeshare into Sydney and they are partner airlines, your bags can be tagged through. Just make sure that when the check-in agent at Heathrow attaches the tags to your bags they read WLG.

2. If you buy duty free liquids at Heathrow, your first risk is your transit at Singapore, where the liquids will most likely be taken off you before you board your onward flight. You could buy duty free liquids at Singapore (they are delivered in the sealed bag to the gate) and bring it to Sydney, as you will remain within the secure area and should not be re-screened (other locals, can you confirm?). You could also buy your duty free at Sydney before boarding the flight to Wellington.

3. Yes, you do not enter Australia and do not have to pass immigration control.

You'll be landing at around 6.50am, which is a reasonably busy time at Sydney international, but as you're not entering Australia, you'll just follow the transit signs back into the international departures area.

As BA-QF business class passengers, you will have access to the Qantas (note that there's no "u", some Aussies tend to get sniffy about it) Business Class lounge. There is not often much of a wait for the showers.

On your return, you will be in the same international terminal, and it will be the same business class lounge that you'll use.

Happy travels.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 10:09
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
828 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Lounges/Arrival in Sydney Airport

I should add, provided BA15 arrives on schedule, you'll have plenty of time to get to the QF business class lounge for that much-desired shower