We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

I am a Perthite travelling over to Sydney to meet with some friends I haven't seen for 20 years. They arrive at their hotel in Darling Harbour around 1pm and I'd like to take them somewhere iconic (in terms of views or experience but hopefully not price!) for lunch- but it is Good Friday. Any ideas? I had thought of a trip over to Manly but not sure whether we can get there directly from Darling Harbour. I have a flight to catch that evening. help!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,389 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

No direct ferry from DH to Manly, you would need to go to CQ & then catch the Manly ferry (would make it avery late lunch by the time you get to Manly!)

sydneyferries.info/uploads/library/timetable…

Ripples at Milsons Point which is on the DH ferry loop would be an option if they're open on Good Friday.

aquadining.com.au/aqua_ripples_cafe_restaura…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

Just tried Ripples, and they're closed on Good Friday - you'd hope that a few restaurants where you could get a decent feed of fish would be open :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

A few years back I had rellies here from the UK and we met on Good Friday for lunch - went to the Blackbird cafe at Darling Harbour. There were quite a few places open, but not the LIndt Cafe (I would have thought they'd be open .... chocolate/Easter and all that LOL)

Mentioned in this post
Blackbird Cafe
Blackbird Cafe
564 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,389 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

Flying Fish could be worth trying

http://www.flyingfish.com.au/index.htm

Cafe Sydney

http://www.cafesydney.com/

Zaaffran

zaaffran.com/Great-Indian-Cuisine-in-Sydney-…

Mentioned in this post
Flying Fish Restaurant & Bar
Flying Fish Restaurant...
704 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Cafe Sydney
Cafe Sydney
3,485 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Zaaffran
Zaaffran
578 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

Fish & Chips at Manly beach?

England
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

The 16 ft skiff club at Manly will be open . We were going to meet cousin Sue there for lunch but she said it'll be rammed so she's doing us lunch at her gaff. We'll go there another day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

whitesnowflakecat - any luck with a booking?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

If you want iconic places and great views, I suggest you take the ferry from Circular Quay to Watson's Bay and go to Doyles. Both the flash restaurant, the pub next door and the pier cafe (all part of the same chain) will be open. Only the restaurant takes bookings, here's the link http://www.doyles.com.au/12243+0+reservations.htm

If you decide to do this, I suggest you go early (obviously not possible) or late - after 2:30 - as the place is heaving on public holidays especially if the weather is good.

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Watson's Bay
Watson's Bay
2,767 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

I ended up booking at the Botanical Gardens restaurant as we could walk there from Darling Harbour, have lunch and then mooch around a little. Thanks for all the advice and sorry for not getting back to the site to update!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,107 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Lunch for OS visitors Good Friday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 21:16