We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
811 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

My boyfriend and I (late 20's) are starting our 4 week Australia trip with a couple nights in Sydney (next January).

We have never stayed in a hostel before but the hotel prices in Sydney seem to be really expensive so I think we might dare to give it a shot.

Don't mind paying extra since we'd definitely want a private room and a private bathroom, but since I don't know the city well at all, I'm struggling to make a decision. I don't mind a bit of partying, but would probably stay away from a place specifically known for being a party hostel, and would really like something clean.

We want to be in a good location to check out the Opera House, etc, but also would really like to be able to see some of the nicer beaches. Since we only have 2 days there, handy transit would be nice to get to these sites, and also a convenient way to/from the airport is a bonus!

These three are spots that were sounding pretty good, so if anyone has feedback on any of these that would be great (or other choices too!)

-YHA Sydney Harbour - The Rocks (this one is pretty pricy though, about $170 per night but if it's definitely worth it we'd splurge).

-Wake Up! (would this be our most central choice to get around to everything we want to see?)

-Funk House (or is this area pretty bad?)

Thanks for your help!!

Janine

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,433 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

Dont know funk house.

Wake up is near therail and bus hubs but not really near the sights.

Harbour YHA would be my pick. Some of the double roooms have a view over the building tops of Opera house and harbour. Can recc based on a stay but I did find it a bit noisy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

Funk house is at Kings Cross, a quick train ride to the city, some parts of KC can be a bit rough late at night (although the same can be said for parts of the city as well.)

Wake Up is right near Central railway, but my pick would also be Harbour YHA if your budget allows.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
811 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

Would it be tricky to catch transit to/from the airport or to the beach areas from Harbour YHA?

Thanks for the feedback!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

Not at all - close to Circular Quay railway station/ferry terminal/buses

5. Re: 2 Days in Sydney - Best choice for a private hostel room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:22