We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

Can anyone please recommend some decent low-rise accommodation overlooking the harbour/Opera House etc for people who are slightly liftphobic? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

How about the Park Hyatt? I have not actually stayed there, but it is low-rise and in an ideal location.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

I agree with other post Park Hyatt is low rise with amazing views of Opera House/Harbour but it comes with a large price tag.

Old Sydney Holiday Inn is not low rise but its not high either...its in a fab position..and cheaper

or the Rendezuous Stafford Hotel - great position in rocks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

The only low rise with a true view is the Park Hyatt...as mentioned by the others..you will not get a view of both icons simultaneously from your room as it nestles beside the bridge.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

You might try a lower floor at

http://www.harboursideapartments.com.au/

please note these are older apartments with no balcony and no air con.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low-rise accommodation overlooking Sydney Harbour

I'm not sure from your post whether you object to climbing a flight of stairs, not whether "overlooking" the harbour means that you require a harbour view from your room; however, here are a couple of suggestions of historic old hot6els which were built before Mr Otis ever thought of a clever way to get peoople upstairs.... they are all only two or three storeys tall, and because of that you are unlikely to see the harbour from your window.... however, they are, in many cases, particularly interesting and charming buildings which are worth checking out.

Top of the list is the Russell, which won't give you a view from your room, but from the front door.... wow! It's the best-located hotel in all of Sydny, in my opinion.

Another is the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel, even older and very well-kept. Nearby is a strange old place which actually does have views of the harbour bridge from the windows, and for less than $AUD120 yet! It's called the Palisade, but I almost hesitate to mention this in the same post as the Park Hyatt, which is getting lots of recommendations above, as the two are on fairly opposite ends of the accommodation spectrum (have I mixed my metaphors here? Can a spectrum have ends?).

You might also check the Sydney Harbour B&B (nice!), the Harbour Rocks Hotel (an old hospital where the bags are taken upstairs by the original dumb waiter), the Mercantile (a wonderfully-located rowdy Irish pub), and the Australian Heritage Hotel (also a B&B).

Some of these will have share facilities, and any one will probably be less than a third of the price of the Park Hyatt.