We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

HAY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

I am going into the Mater Hospital, Crows Nest for an operation in June and will be in for at least 7 days. My husband will need to be in a decent hotel close by. We will be flying to Sydney so will not have a car.

I would appreciate any feedback on which of these hotels would be the best for him to stay at or if any one has any other hotel suggestions that would be great as well.

Thank you.

Louise.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

just a thought.....have you asked the hospital about accommodation options nearby and where they would recommend?

the mclaren hotel looks like a friendly place.

hope all goes well with your operation and recovery.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hi,

Other hotels close to the Mater Hospital -

a) Rydges North Sydney. - rydges.com/hotel/…Rydges-North-Sydney.htm

b) Hotel Urban St Leonards - http://hotelurban.com.au/sydney/#2

c) Crows Nest B&B www.crowybandb.com

d) Harbourview Hotel - North Sydney viewhotels.com.au/north_sydney_harbourview/i…

f) Mary Mackillop Place - North Sydney www.marymackillopplace.org.au/

g)Stormanston House - North Sydney mercyworld.org/resources/view_resource.cfm…

HAY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hi JuneTL and Ellemay,

Thank you for your replies and best wishes. I will look into your suggestions. I don't want to book anything that is too far away as my husband will have to walk and he is country boy so will find Sydney quite scary on his own! He probably will not feel confident to use public transport.

Cheers and thanks

Louise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hi Lou,

The closest is All Seasons, just around the corner from the Mater, on the Pacific Highway.

all-seasons-hotels.com/gb/…index.shtml

Ask for a room with a harbour view. Friends stayed there last year when their daughter was in the Mater and were very happy with it.

It's a budget hotel, but has all the amenities and is very close to Crows Nest, so your husband can wander up and get a paper, meal, have a beer at the pub on the corner, etc. Crows Nest has a very friendly, local vibe and there are plenty of places for your husband to have dinner without feeling "one out". And lots of the restaurants do take-aways, if you feel like something special, too.

Best wishes for your op; there was a time when I just about had shares in the Mater & I couldn't speak highly enough of them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Just thinking again, Lou; another option might be the Harbourside Apartments, at McMahons Point. http://harboursideapartments.com.au/

It would be about 30 minutes walk to the Mater from there, or 10 mins up to North Sydney, from where your husband could catch a bus, if he didn't fancy the walk. Bus stops along Blues Point Road too, but fewer buses than along the highway.

Pros, from a country boy's viewpoint, would include:

* Quieter than being right on the highway - no traffic at all near the apartments.

* Like Crows Nest, a residential area, with a village feel and lots of little places to eat; newsagents & a couple of pubs.

* Knock out view of the harbour.

* Lovely foreshore and park within the grounds and around the corner.

* Bus stop right at the ferry.

* Ferry at the doorstep if he wants to go to town.

* Larger than a hotel room, and with kitchen & laundry facilities, he can eat at home mroe economically and without the bother of going out if he doesn't feel inclined.

Just a thought - from a transplanted country girl.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hi

All Seasons at Crows Nest is the closest to the Mater and is only a short walk down the highway. I stay there a few times a year and it is a good budget hotel. The rooms are clean and you are also in walking distance to the shops at Crows Nest.

Anderledy Lodge at Mary McKillop Place would also be very suitable for your husband, very friendly, free continetal breakfast in a peaceful setting howvever it would be a 15 minute walk up the highway. Staying here he could hop on the 273 bus to the Mater stop which would only take a few minutes.

Hope everything goes well for your operation.

Jodi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hi again

Just wanted to add an update, I stayed at All Seasons on Monday 2 May and it has really gone down hill since I was there last in 2010. You can read my review but basically where it was previously worn out and tired it is now worn out and tired and dirty.

I only stay there when I can't get a room at Anderledy Lodge, however I won't be staying there again. It is the closest to the Mater. but I think your husband would be infinately more comfortable (and safe from germs) at Anderledy Lodge. From Anderledy Lodge it is a 15 minute walk right up the highway or about 3 minutes on the 273 bus which has stops on the highway and stops right at the Mater.

Jodi

HAY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for replying to my question and your helpful information.

I think i will look at an alternative to the All Seasons.

Also thanks for all the wishes for my up coming adventure to hospital!!!

Cheers

Lou

9. Re: McLaren Hotel or All Seasons Crows Nest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 03:16