We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Sydney , i need help

Kuwait
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Sydney , i need help

Hello

This will be my 1st Visit to Sydney , its a tourism trip with my wife , 2 kids (age 3-4) and other members of my family ...

Our ages between 19-30

i will stay in Australia for more than a month , will visit Sydney , Melbourne and Gold Coast ... but will stay in Sydney for 3 Weeks ..

my question is about Sydney , ive read many Itinerary's here . and i think i have a good idea about what i want to see .. BUT i have no idea how to fit these places in the days of the trip because i dont know which places i can visit in the same day and how many time to spend in each place ...

Notes :

- My trip is in July

- I will stay in Darling Harbor area

- My interest is in Sighting , Adventure and Culture

- wife would like to shop ALOT ..

- Children will slow my plane because they might get bored and be annoyed from long walking or spending lots of time in the malls etc

Sooo ...

Places i like to visit is are

The Harbour / Circular Quay /the Rocks/ Opera House

The Hyde Park /The Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney

Taronga Zoo/Sydney Tower/Sydney Aquarium

Sydney Wildlife World/Ferry rides around Sydney Harbour

Art Gallery of New South Wales

And For Shopping :

Westfield (Shopping Center)/Castlereagh ST

Pitt ST

im not sure if i can take the Blue Mountains Tour because of the kids , maybe ill decide when im in Sydney

what is the best plane to fit these things in the schedule for my group ..

i mean what places should i visit in the same day .. which places to spend a day there ...etc

And did i miss some places that i should see ??

im sorry if im asking to much , but i know there are some experts here who might help me

Thanks in advance

Edited: 11 May 2011, 03:04
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
The Darling
The Darling
971 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,585 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
1,350 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,814 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney Tower Restaurant
Sydney Tower Restaurant
407 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Wildlife Tours - Day Tours
Sydney Wildlife Tours...
93 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Art Gallery of New South...
2,640 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
350 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Castlereagh Boutique Hotel
Castlereagh Boutique...
762 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,229 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

if you are spending 3 weeks in Sydney start off by chilling out and relaxing. You have plenty of time to do EVERYTHING you want to do.

many of things you want to do can be done in a day but why streess yourself out.

You have plenty of time to take in a BLue Mountains tour should you wish and why should your kids get sick. Be positive and work on the premise that you are going to have a great time.

A couple of extra places for your wife to go shopping are Westfield in Parramatta, Bondi and Chatswood. Dont forget Paddys Market a Sydney institution.

For a relaxing day travelling around Sydney try the Red and Blue explorer buses, the REd goes around central city and the Blue out to the Eastern suburbs.

Take a trip on the ferry to Many and a Captain Cook cruise around the harbour.

Sydney town is full of excitement and adventure and your 3 weeks will speed past.

Take time to go and watch a game of rugby league at the Sydney Football stadium or Olympic stadium

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
350 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Parramatta
Parramatta
Greater Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Chatswood
Chatswood
Willoughby, Australia
Paddy's Market
Paddy's Market
1,176 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Like beanb41 says, with 3 weeks you've got plenty of time to do everything. Rough plan, allow half a day for most things (though depending on interest some can be ticked off in an hour or two or take a full day) and have nearby back-ups. For example, go to the Art Gallery, if the kids get bored of it before you've seen it all, take them to the Botanic Gardens for a run around in the fresh air, if they get tired and want to sit down for a while go down to the Quay and catch a ferry somewhere so you can sit down for a while and enjoy harbour views. In three weeks you'll have time to go to the Gallery again if you want, and with small kids two shorter visits might be more enjoyable than one marathon tour anyway. Really, with three weeks I don't think you need a schedule as such, just a rough idea, so in the morning if it's a lovely sunny day or if it's raining or if some of your group say "we did so much walking yesterday, I'd like something more relaxing today" you can just choose something to suit on that day. Also, will you be travelling as a group the whole time? Or will you split into smaller interest groups, eg, women go shopping while men take kids to the zoo (because I imagine the kids would prefer the zoo to standing around while mum tries on new shoes)?

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,808 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

You might consider Featherdale Wildlife Park ( http://www.featherdale.com.au/ ) - the kids can get right up close to lots of native animals.

Mentioned in this post
Featherdale Wildlife Park
Featherdale Wildlife Park
2,100 Reviews
Blacktown, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

If your wife likes to shop, she may enjoy going to some of the better known shopping areas rather than the Westfield malls - which are really the same as shopping malls all over the world. Some suggestions might be Knox St Double Bay (up market, high end), Oxford St Paddington (alternative and a bit different), Military Rd Mosman, Victoria Ave Chatswood - I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

July is the middle of winter and it can get quite cold for outdoor activities for children. Another place to go with them might be Centennial Park (While your wife shops in Oxford St???) and they can feed the ducks.

Enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
350 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Woollahra
Woollahra
Sydney, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Chatswood
Chatswood
Willoughby, Australia
Centennial Park
Centennial Park
506 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

3 weeks is plenty of time!! my picks would be- Taronga zoo ,Ferry to Manly( from Circular Quay) and spend the day there,Shopping is great at city Westfields and pitt st,its also good at Bondi Westfields (parramatta is too far to go shopping in my opinion) Powerhouse museum is great for kids, wildlife world and aquarium at Darling Harbour,Bondi Beach,Blue mountains (this is a full day trip),Botanic Gardens, reptile park at sommersby,featherdale wildlife world,another place not many people talk about but its really good is Symbio wildlife park,its about 45 mins south of city.

List goes on and on!!!

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,814 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,388 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach
5,696 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Symbio Wildlife Park
Symbio Wildlife Park
370 Reviews
Helensburgh, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

you can do The Harbour / Circular Quay /the Rocks/ Opera House in one day as they are all in the Circular Quay area

on another day you could do Hyde Park and Sydney Tower

Taronga Zoo could take one day or half a day

trips on the Sydney ferries could also take a day or perhaps a half day...do take the ferry trip out to Manly

a picnic at the Botanic Gardens could be combined with the Art Gallery....perhaps those in the group not interested in the gallery could look after the children in the part of the Botanic Gardens nearby the Gallery

Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World could be done on one day...depends on how much time you wish to spend in each attraction

as mentioned by the previous posters, you have 3 weeks in Sydney so you do not need to cram all your sightseeing into a few days

if using many trips on public transport (bus/train/ferry) consider buying a daily ticket or a weekly ticket

sydneybuses.info/tickets/mymulti-tickets.htm

there is also a free 555 bus that runs in the city

sydneybuses.info/free-shuttles/free-shuttle-…

there is also a sunday funday ticket available

sydneyferries.info/myzone-tickets-and-fares/…

happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,585 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
1,350 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Tower Restaurant
Sydney Tower Restaurant
407 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,814 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

As one who visited this great city earlier in the year, I would suggest that you look at the "Things to do" section of this site to see what's available and view the reviews posted by TA members. As already mentioned, I think the younger members of your party would really like Featheradle Wildlife park (about an hour's trip West of Sydney)...my wife loved the opportunity to get up close , stroke and feed the animals. Hopefully, if you let the ladies have time to shop by themselves, they will reciprocate, and you can have some "me" time. One of my ambitions, was to do the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb" and I was not disappointed. Great feeling of elation that I had done it and boy, what a view from the top...but don't just take my word for it!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,577 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Kuwait
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Thanks every one for the reply ..i appreciate it

@beanb41, i like your positive view about going to the BLue Mountains , ill discuss it with the family and see if they are ready to do it or not , my big concern ... is it suitable for 3-4 yrs old kids ??

i dont like rugby at all , im not a fan and i dont know the rules :p

@MacKnee , i dont think i want to split into smaller groups .. me , wife and the kids will do everything together , as many said , 3 weeks is lot of time to do my wish list

@evamelb , although shopping is something we will do in Sydney , but my wife is not so exited , she heard that the prices is expensive comparing to USA outlets were we used to shop .. are there bargains in Sydney i should know about .. ?

Thanks ALL

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Yes, you are right, the prices are much more here than the USA. However, in July you may be in time to get the mid year sales, where there will be many bargains.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

You originally said >>its a tourism trip with my wife , 2 kids (age 3-4) and other members of my family<< and now say >>i dont think i want to split into smaller groups .. me , wife and the kids will do everything together<< but anyway, bottom line is you need to plan to cater for stamina and attention span of toddlers. What is your concern about the Blue Mountains? I mean it's mountainous so care and close supervision are required, but the same can be said for the city with busy streets and stairs and escalators. Just trying to clarify things.

Re the sales, I was wondering won't that be mostly winter stuff? What sort of things are you after? Not sure it's worth travelling far specially for vague general shopping?

Edited: 12 May 2011, 06:55
Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains