We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Sydney , i need help

Kuwait
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Sydney , i need help

Hello

This will be my 1st Visit to Sydney , its a tourism trip with my wife , 2 kids (age 3-4) and other members of my family ...

Our ages between 19-30

i will stay in Australia for more than a month , will visit Sydney , Melbourne and Gold Coast ... but will stay in Sydney for 3 Weeks ..

my question is about Sydney , ive read many Itinerary's here . and i think i have a good idea about what i want to see .. BUT i have no idea how to fit these places in the days of the trip because i dont know which places i can visit in the same day and how many time to spend in each place ...

Notes :

- My trip is in July

- I will stay in Darling Harbor area

- My interest is in Sighting , Adventure and Culture

- wife would like to shop ALOT ..

- Children will slow my plane because they might get bored and be annoyed from long walking or spending lots of time in the malls etc

Sooo ...

Places i like to visit is are

The Harbour / Circular Quay /the Rocks/ Opera House

The Hyde Park /The Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney

Taronga Zoo/Sydney Tower/Sydney Aquarium

Sydney Wildlife World/Ferry rides around Sydney Harbour

Art Gallery of New South Wales

And For Shopping :

Westfield (Shopping Center)/Castlereagh ST

Pitt ST

im not sure if i can take the Blue Mountains Tour because of the kids , maybe ill decide when im in Sydney

what is the best plane to fit these things in the schedule for my group ..

i mean what places should i visit in the same day .. which places to spend a day there ...etc

And did i miss some places that i should see ??

im sorry if im asking to much , but i know there are some experts here who might help me

Thanks in advance

Edited: 11 May 2011, 03:04
Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
18,936 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,757 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
The Darling
The Darling
956 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Castlereagh Boutique Hotel
Castlereagh Boutique...
755 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,468 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,504 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
1,338 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Art Gallery of New South...
2,610 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Wildlife Tours - Day Tours
Sydney Wildlife Tours...
94 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
345 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Tower Restaurant
Sydney Tower Restaurant
403 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Suggested combinations:

Circular Quay area - Ferry ride, Sydney Opera House, Customs House - lower ground floor has a model of Sydney under the floor - its free and worth a look - good toilet facilities are in this building too, free busker type entertainment on weekends, Dendy Cinema for a movie perhaps, restaurants, Royal Botanic Gardens (Small train ride for kids or free guided walks or just walk around yourselves), Justice and Police Museum may be worth a look.

The Rocks - shops and restaurants, Ghost walking tour, Discovery Museum, undercover markets on weekends, children may enjoy eating at Pancakes at The Rocks, in the area Observatory Hill

Hyde Park Barracks, the Australian Museum and Lindt Cafe in Martin Place for a snack.

Darling Harbour - walk over Pyrmont bridge, IMAX theatre, Australian National Museum (Check out Kids Deck), Sydney Aquarium, Powerhouse Museum, Chinese gardens, Tumbulong park for kids to run around, Sydney Wildlife World, M9 laser Skirmish - plus there are two ten pin bowling places and plenty other activities there.

Chinatown, Paddys markets

Taronga Zoo - allow one day

Jenolan Caves - allow one day

Blue Mountains - allow one day

Kiama Blowhole - allow one day

Sydney Harbour national Park

Lane Cove national Park or Kuringai National Park

A Sydney beach - Manly, Bondi beach, Coogee or Balmoral (highly recommended)

Art Gallery of NSW - great art and fab cafe with great views.

Sydney Tower - wife can shop unpesterd in Westfield below - whilst you have fun upstairs.

Hyde Park - ANZAC Memorial, Queen Victoria Building, Department stores, The Strand

Walk across the Harbour Bridge and along the Luna Park foreshore.

North Head, Middle Head or South Head

Hawkesbury River

Hunter Valley

Central Coast

Manly Scenic Walk

Bondi Coogee Scenic Walk

Ferry to Watsons Bay for fish and chips

Maybe go and see a footy match with the locals.

Check out world flavours in these suburbs - Newtown, Glebe, Paddington, Leichardt, Chinatown, Cabramatta

Lots of the above suggestions are covered in the Travellers Articles. So check them out.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,445 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
18,936 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,757 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney Opera House
Sydney Opera House
18,923 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach
5,637 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hawkesbury River
Hawkesbury River
83 Reviews
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,504 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Customs House
Customs House
166 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
1,338 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Art Gallery of New South...
2,610 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Powerhouse Museum
Powerhouse Museum
1,054 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Observatory Hill
Observatory Hill
162 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Martin Place
Martin Place
262 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Wildlife Tours - Day Tours
Sydney Wildlife Tours...
94 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Westfield Sydney
Westfield Sydney
345 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
North Head
North Head
342 Reviews
Manly, Australia
Glebe
Glebe
85 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,805 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Tower Restaurant
Sydney Tower Restaurant
403 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Coogee
Coogee
Randwick, Australia
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Woollahra
Woollahra
Sydney, Australia
Kuwait
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

@MacKnee ..

other members of my family are women (my sister+My sister in Law) so if they go shopping ill be alone with the kids

we can split into smaller groups , but thats only if the young ladies wanted to go somewhere alone ...

@xiantraveller

very interesting , ill have alot to do then :)

THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP ..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

hi,

im a new zealander & live in melbourne. i just had my first trip to sydney about a month ago. on my own i got most of the things you listed done in 6 days. in 3 weeks you have heaps of time with 2 kids in tow.

the children will love the monorail that runs around the city. the views of the city are fantastic.

i just wanted to comment on the shopping for your wife. i was really looking forward to shopping in sydney, however i found there was shopping mostly chain stores. i had been looking for individually owned sydney shops with items special to sydney. the best shopping i found was the markets. the sydney lonely planet guide is excellent & lists all the markets. the Rocks Market on saturdays was my favourite & i spent plently of money there.

enjoy your trip, also circular quay is amazing & has a fantastic atmosphere at night with the lights reflecting onto the water.

Edited: 13 May 2011, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,504 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

If your wife really wants to clothes shop there are other areas to visit - not all are in the CBD - places like Mosman, Surry Hills, Paddington, Double Bay, Bondi, Glebe, Newtown, Balmain. She will find boutiques in this area plus of course The Strand in the Sydney CBD has numerous Australian designer boutiques.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
245 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Glebe
Glebe
85 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Newtown
Newtown
515 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Woollahra
Woollahra
Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Balmain
Balmain
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Just to reassure you about the Blue Mountains, it's easily accessed by train, car or there's plenty of bus tours to take in the area. If there's a few of you it might be worth hiring a car for the day; considering how much time you have you could even consider staying up there for a night?

Many lookouts are easily accessed by road and have good fences to stop the kids going over the edge! Of course, there's also plenty of walks too, ranging from easy to very hard.

One thing to keep in mind is that in July it can be very cold in the Blue Mountains - it can snow, but rarely.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

hello Kavedas.

all things mentioned prev are good.. you should definately go to the Blue mountains.. my suggestion would be to even stay there for 2 nights. you have plenty of time. you could hire a cottage perhaps.. Blackheath is my favourite place.in the mountains. it is very deferent to the city..i live in sydney and every year we visit the mountains for a weekend .the views are amazing.

burlingame
Level Contributor
98 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

Prices in Australia are quite high so that might be a limiting factor. I would recommend the 7 day ferry/bus and train pass. You can take the ferry to Watson Bay, have lunch at Doyle's, feed the seagulls or play in the sand, have a Gelatissimo ice cream and take the bus back to the city. You can take the bus to Leichardt (Little Italy) and stroll around the forum shops and have lunch. The bus takes you to Oxford street for shopping or get off at Bondi junction for more shopping. If you take a tour to the Blue Mountains you most likely will see kangaroos in the wild and the tour guide will show you how to throw a boomerang. I haven't been to Taronga Zoo or Luna park but I have seen many happy children coming back from both places. Darling harbor is a place to spend many hours. There is the aquarium, the wildlife park, the IMAX theater, Lindt chocolate store, a tiny train that takes you around the area, a naval museum, a mall, a children's play area, restaurants, the monorail etc.. You can do as much or as little as you like in one day. On Saturday and Sunday is the street fair in the Rocks. We just enjoy riding around on the ferries. The ride to Manly is nice and there are many shops, restaurants, beach, a shore walking path and more ice cream shops for the kids. Three weeks will go by quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,757 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,504 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Watson's Bay
Watson's Bay
2,745 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Bondi
Bondi
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
18. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:01
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

marythomson77 - your post has been reported, self promotion is not permitted under posting guidelines..

tripadvisor.com.au/help/what_are_the_guideli…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: 1st time in Sydney , i need help

all of MT77's posts so far have been self promotion