We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MyMulti weekly suitable?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
MyMulti weekly suitable?

We are a family of 5( 2A,3C)travelling to Sydney in July 4 nights. Planning to buy a 2 adult & 1 child weekly my multi ticket from the airport on arrival.Walk to Mascot station to catch train to Town hall station. In our 4 days we plan to travel to Watson bay, Manly by ferry.Bondi and city area by bus and train.

Will this pass be advisable for our plans and can we jump on any bus?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

I take it that you know that Mascot Suburban station is not the same as the airport station? - it's a good half hour walk, maybe more with kids. If you want to avoid paying the Airport gate pass charges, you can take the 400 bus from the airport (outside T3) to Rockdale station, and from there take a train into the city. This might be easier if you have luggage and children in tow. Also, a MyMulti 1 won't get you to Watson's Bay or Bondi Beach - you need a Multi 2 or you need to purchase a link ticket. http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/fares will show you all the details.

Depending on how much traveling you want to do each day, it may be cheaper to just by point to point tickets for the 4 days.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 04:31
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

The walk is 2km through industrial area; I don't think that's quite half an hour but even so I'm not sure it's something that family of five would find particularly enjoyable for the sake of saving $25.

In addition to catching the 400 to Rockdale for a train, you can also catch a 400 in the other direction (same bus stop but destination Bondi Junction) to Mascot Station, which is a LOT closer than Rockdale.

Also, in response to evamelb, a MyMulti 1 will get you to all destinations listed.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Are you sure about the multi 1? - the website says the boundary is Bondi Junction and from the Junction to the Beach you need to buy a link ticket?

http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/myzone

Melbourne
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Thanks for the feedback. we will re think the walk to Mascot, had forgotten the area that surounding the airport. Our kids are teenagers, so the distance is not a problem, Attitude might.

By my research Multi 1 will cover to Bondi beach, as Bondi junction to beach is by bus.(Covers all buses)Thought we might catch the ferry to Watson bay, bus to bondi beach and bus/train back to CBD.

Would apprehiate all advise and any other alternatives?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
835 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Eva, the MyMulti zones apply only to trains. Griff, you're right that the MyMulti 1 can be used on any bus in the Sydney Metropolitan Area. The loop you've described is a great way of seeing the harbour, the eastern suburbs and Bondi Beach all on the one trip. That ticket will also get you to Manly.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 07:37
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

I think MyMulit-1 is the right ticket.

Ferries to Watsons Bay and Manly will add up to $20-ish p.p, so you should get your value out of the $41 ticket. Only thing to consider, is if you are here for a Sunday, and that is a ferry day, then an all day Funday Sunday ticket will cost $12.50 for all of you for that day for all trains/buses/ferries. You may need to crunch the numbers to calculate the best value.

The ferry and bus to Bondi is great. Allow a little time at The Gap. Get the train back from Bondi Junction, the bus from Bondi Junction to the city can take forever.

Catching the 400 bus from the airport will be free if you have a MyMulti, and will save you $30+ on gatepasses, and take you to Mascot station or Rockdale station. You can't miss Rockdale station is you are looking out the window, under the subway, past Banksia alongside the railway, and you will see Rockdale on the left. Mascot station is easier to miss, because the bus turns before the station. Perhaps follow along on a map.

The 400 bus reliability really sucks. I've never seen one at the airport even approaching the timetabled time. Still, if there have been people waiting at the stop for 15 minutes or so, chances are one will be along soon. There is only one bus stop at domestic, walk through the carpark directly opposite T2, or turn left out of T3 and walk to the end of the terminal. It is much quicker to travel to Mascot, but personally I'd be so glad just to see one I'd hop on whichever came next.

Otherwise the walk is around 25 minutes to Mascot, is easy and flat, and is good for you :-) Walk on the right (T2) side of the road (against the traffic) to make sure you get crossings, and cross twice at the big intersection at O'Riordan - you can't miss it. At most times of day you'll see others doing the walk, at least as far as the hotels. I wouldn't let the fact that it an industrial area worry you, the roads are busy enough at most times.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 11:55
Melbourne
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Thanks Aussie cygnet and inas66,

Your advise has verified my research. Will consider the walk or bus and will depend on the weather. Sometimes holiday fun can be doing something different which takes you out of your comfort zone.

Any comments or an itinerary for a day trip (similar to our watsonbay/bondi day) towards parramatta end of harbour? Have no idea whats up that way?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
835 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

You could catch the ferry to Sydney Olympic Park wharf and walk along the river to Newington Armory Wharf, which has a nice cafe/restaurant, and walk around the grounds of the former Royal Australian Navy Armory (the Armory grounds are only open on Saturday and Sunday). The voyage up the river is, in itself, beautiful and well worth the trip, and once you've finished, walk along the tracks through the wetlands adjoining Sydney Olympic Park back to the public ferry wharf

Edited: 24 May 2011, 13:55
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Agree with Aussie_Cygnet. Since you have your MyMulti in hand, why not stop off at Cockatoo Island on the way. Fun and educational for the kids, great views, and free..

Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MyMulti weekly suitable?

Recently flew to Sydney and found the walk from domestic to mascot station quite refreshing after the plane. I would hardly call it an "industrial area" as you pass motels along the way. The use of the MyMulti DayPass (Unlimited train travel across entire CityRail network and unlimited government and private bus and government ferry travel.) turned out to be a good choice and alternating between that and other options worked quite well. The free bus service in the city catered well another day, as did the old reliable "leg work". hope this helps.