We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

Stoke-on-Trent...
9 posts
Save Topic
sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

we arrive in sydney and have a connecting flight to bangkok. there is only 1 hour (arrive in sydney at 12.55, flight to bangkok leaves 13.55) to get from term3 to t1. we are concerned but the travel agent and quantas say there isnt a problem. what is the quickest way and if possible can someone give me a step by step so we lose no time searching

thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

qantas.com.au/travel/…transfer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

I am amazed that a travel agent or QANTAS would have booked you on those connections (presuming one or other of them handled your arrangements as one booking).

Like all international departure points (even if you are in First or Business on your international departure), you need to be at the international terminal at least an hour before the scheduled departure time - usually two hours minimum for other classes.

Are your domestic and international legs one booking - handled by the one agent, or all booked through QANTAS?

Even if your domestic flight lands on time, you will not have enough time to leave the QANTAS T3 domestic terminal, travel to the international terminal (T1), check yourselves and your luggage in and pass emmigration control to make your flight.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

i didn't get time to edit my entry.

i assume u will have your bags checked thru and your boarding passes for BKK issued at your point of departure so u just need to find the terminal transfer bus as per my link on post #1 get thru emigration and security and find your gate. extremely tight but doable.

u will need to fill out departure cards to get thru emigration. suggest u do that on your domestic flight so as not to waste time on the ground.

good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

Thanks for the follow-up, lien. I'd not thought about grimlord checking luggage through from the domestic departure point, but here's hoping he/she is travelling with QF or an interline airline all the way to BKK. A one hour connection (for people or baggage) from Dom to Int at SYD-KSA is still very tight. I'd not want to try it :-)

Stoke-on-Trent...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

thanks for the replies, the booking was made by a travel agent and i voiced my concerns. he and i got in touch with quantas and got the same answer in that if the connecting flights were not possible then they couldnt by law sell them. we can get an earlier flight but that will cost an extra £130ea for the cheapest ticket.what the agent suggested was to arrive in adelaide early for the flight to sydney and ask if we can transfer to the earlier flight. 1hr is all well and good when you know the airport but will be VERY tight i feel if like us you dont

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

agree i wouldn't want to try it but they say t3 connecting flight so assumed the first leg was qantas (alto they did state quantas which is an airline i had never heard of ;-) )

Edited: 08 June 2011, 12:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

Grimlord, assumng you are travelling on QF from your domestic departure point and then from Sydney to Bangkok, I think the biggest risk will be if your domestic flight is seriously delayed.

If you've had boarding passes issued through to Bangkok from your starting point, the international flight may hold for you in the event of a not inordinate delay (the not uncommon call over the intercom to the pax sitting in the aeroplane about waiting for transferring passengers).

One hour must be about the closest QF ever allows at Sydney airport for domestic to international transfers.

Good luck!

Edited: 08 June 2011, 13:01
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

By the way, there's no "u" in QANTAS :-) Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Limited - one of the earliest commercial acronyms

Stoke-on-Trent...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

cheers

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sydney terminal 3 to terminal 1

There;s an awful lot of ifs here...

You will make it

if your flight leaves on time

if the are no Air Traffic Control problems in Sydney and your flight doesn't have to circle for a while before landing

if the aero-bridge is ready (we sat waiting for the bridge for 10 minutes this morning on a QF flight)

if you're not sitting back in row 54 (it can take an extra 5 minutes to disembark)

if there is a transfer bus waiting for you to take you to T1 and you don't have to wait around.

if there are not a lot of flight leaving with lengthy queues at emigration (although they can move you to the front of the queue if you are pushy)

They may hold the plane for you - but its a lot to count on.

It's possible, but you need to ask yourself if it's probable.

I suggest you contact QANTAS yourself and put your concerns to them directly rather than relying completely on what the travel agent told you.