We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

I will be in Sydney for 3 months (August through October) for the business. I’m looking for a furnished apartment ready to move in a nice neighborhood, with good restaurants, coffee shops and fun places nearby. Darling Harbour and Darlinghurst, which one is better? Thanks in advance!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

depends on exactly where in those locations but generally imo darling harbour would be a bit of a sterile place to live while darlinghurst would have a lot more character and vibe. have u exact locations in mind?

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

I just started my researching yesterday, the following are the ones I've found so far:

355 Kent Street at Darling Harbour

187 Kent Street at Darling Harbour

227 Victoria St at Darlinghurst

According to the agent, they are all in good location. Since I've never been to Sydney, I'm having a hard time to make my decision.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

those kent st addresses appear to be in the CBD (central business district = downtown) among all the office buildings. wouldn't be my choice. the city tends to get a bit deserted at night altho the actual darling harbour area ( a bit of a walk from kent st) is quite lively. also the rocks are close by.

victoria st darlinghurst is in the heart of an old residential area of sydney with plenty of night life, restaurants and character of its own. and the kings cross area (some of it red light but much not) is only a little way away. good transport connections, bus and train.

use google maps street view to suss both places out.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

355 Kent isn't far from Darling Harbour itself. Next to the RedOak, it on the edge of the "skyscraper" district and not more than 2 mins across to King St Wharf. On a weekday lunctime or breakfast you will have endless choice of coffee shops, but at night only Darling Harbour itself unless you walk a bit, bit dingy. Close to Wynyard and Town Hall station, and King St Wharf ferry, so couldn't be better for transport.

I walk past the Kent St places most days if you want any more details of them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
857 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

227 Victoria Street is right near the big intersection that gives Kings Cross its name - fewer than 5 minutes' walk to Kings Cross Railway Station, on the edge of the Victorian-era residential part of Darlinghurst. There's a local supermarket within a close walk and, as lien has said, great cafes, restaurants and nightlife. Agree tha thet area around the Kent Street addresses you've found can be rather deserted and sterile after business hours, and there's only so many times you'll want to eat at somewhere around Darling Harbour, as nice as it is. Somewhere in Darlo would definitely get my vote

Edited: 23 June 2011, 12:41
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

I would choose Darlinghurst also. With King Cross railway you are only a few minutes from the city or Bondi Junction and it's better for "living" cheaper grocery shops, fresh vegetable etc... better coffee too

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

Thank you all very much for your great input! I appreciate it. I got attracted to the apt on Kent St. because they are newer development. Now I have a better idea about the area. I will focus on my search in Darlinghurst, Surry Hills area. what about Woollahra?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

wollahra is again an old residential suburb and a very nice area. some very expensive houses there. handy to bus transport and depending on what part, maybe train. good restaurants, cafes and shopping. close to centennnial park for recreation. surrey hills is a bit down market in comparison but it is still a great place to be (depending on the actual location).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
857 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

The good folk of Surry Hills (lien, it's perhaps strange that, for many that live in that suburb, there's no "e") would bridle at the description 'downmarket' :-)

It's close to the City (easy from many parts just to walk down to town and then catch the bus home at the end of the day) and has a vibrant cafe/restaurant/nightlife scene. Charming Victorian dwellings that range from grand residences to terrace rows of workers' houses.

Agree that there a parts of SH that are better than others, but all in all it's much of a muchness.

Woollahra is, by its own estimation, much more upmarket :-)

Edited: 24 June 2011, 14:28
dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Darling Harbour or Darlinghurst

Thank you for your feedback! I'm still waiting for the response from the owner in Wollahra. Meanwhile, the agent has presented me a couple of more places:

a place in Elizabeth Bay close to the water with a nice bay view,

another place on Waratah Street near Roslyn Gardens in Rushcutters Bay.

From the google map, not many shops/restaurants near these two places. Should they be considered?