We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains and Parking

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Trains and Parking

Hi,

I am planning on spending a few days in Sydney (17-20 July) and have accommodation organised in the CBD. My problem is that I am driving up from Melbourne and have only just realised that parking at the hotel is going to cost me an additional $90 so I am looking at alternatives such as leaving my car at a train station outside the CBD for my stay and catching the train in. I was thinking of Campbelltown as it is just off the Hume and has ample car parks.

Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains and Parking

personally i would rather leave the car in a suburban residential st. near a railway station than over night in a railway carpark. then it's with other cars. plus u could probably get closer to town. but then again $90 for a secure car park doesn't seem that bad to me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains and Parking

I live near Campbelltown and park my car Monday - Friday at Macarthur Station. Now, I know it's only a little car (a Suzuki Ignis) but one night I returned to find someone (presumably some of the local feral teenagers) had picked up the rear end of the car and sat it back down so that it was diagonally across the parking space. I'm positive I didn't leave it that way in the morning, because it was between 2 other cars and when I got back the left hand rear wheel was across into the space next to my car ....

There's 2 chances of me leaving the car overnight at a station carpark - Buckley's and none.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 07:36
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains and Parking

obviously when I got back the car to the left of me was gone (as was the one to the right) - I was most perplexed and checked the car for damage, but there wasn't any thank goodness.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains and Parking

As you move further out from the city, the locals get more feral (and your chances of damage increase). On the other hand, parking gets easier to find.

This is a tricky question - I'd probably suggest a train station near a freeway exit in Sydney: Bexley North, Turrella, Bardwell Park, Tempe, Banksia, Arncliffe

These are relatively quiet middle ring suburbs which are only 15-20mins by train from the CBD if you ever wanted to check on your car. Parking is not too difficult.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains and Parking

Thanks all for your quick responses!

$90 might not seem like much but for a humble student its a bit!

Tempe station looks like the go to me - from what you can tell on Google Maps anyway - shouldn't have trouble finding on-street parking on a Sunday either I imagine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains and Parking

It might cost you a lot more than $90 if you return to find your car damaged or gone, hope you're well insured! I wouldn't risk it. If you park on the street another risk is locals might report it to police thinking it's been stolen, particularly with interstate plates.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains and Parking

>> This is a tricky question - I'd probably suggest a train station near a freeway exit in Sydney: Bexley North, Turrella, Bardwell Park, Tempe, Banksia, Arncliffe <<,another suggestion is in this area is Kingsgrove ,there is parking in an area between Kingsgrove Rd and Kingsgrove Ave or the latter proper.From here good options for trains or a 5 minute walk north gives you a bus service to the city as well,wouldnt take much to come back to check up on your car either.But also be aware of any clearway/no parking restrictions and time limited/residential on street parking restrictions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains and Parking

Sorry but $90 a day sounds like alot to me. Even in the centre of the city there are carparks that charge $50 a day. However not all of them have 24 hour access. Where is your hotel? We may be able to suggest a better option.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains and Parking

i assumed $90 for 3 nights.....which isn't bad (for sydney)

but might be even cheaper flying when taking petrol costs into consideration

Edited: 30 June 2011, 11:32
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains and Parking

If you plan to aprk around Tempe I can suggest the back of the velodrome.

We've often left our car overnight at Padstow...not too feral but always near Padstow Park (?) school in the side street..(this is a better choice than sutherland) 5 mins from M5

A side street in front of a house is a way better choice than a car park

@lien yep $90 each way on Q from melb is a better choice,,,,might even be a bigger bargain on V orJQ