We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Hi

My family of 4 ( 2 adults + 20 yr son + 16 yr daughter ) is thinking of doing the National Pass walk during one of the days during out trip to Sydney in early Dec 11 (will be on a weekday - less crowded). We are all reasonably active people.

We will be taking the train from Central Station to Wentworth Falls using the Multiday pass and understand that the pass covers the bus rides on BMBC. Check their webpage - think bus 685 is the nearest to the start of the walk at Conservation Hut. Have a look at the timetable for the bus - and I'm confused. Question - where do I go to take this bus once alight from the train station ? Assuming I'm taking an early train from Central at 7 plus am, how do i read the bus timetable ? ie what time will the bus 685 be expected to arrive ?

This walk is stated as 'Hard'. The 4 of us have never done any such walks before. So are we rather ambitous in attempting this walk for our first bushwalk ? Next - is the walk reasonably doable, ie safe if it's a rain day ?. I will appreciate any advice etc from those of u who had done this walk before.

Thks & Regds

Purple

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Definitely NOT if you are inexperienced and especially with children

Have a lookout this website

wildwalks.com/bushcraft/technical-stuff/trac…

It gives you an idea of the walk classifications - yours is a 4!

PLEASE don't do it. The rescue services have enough on their hands.

There are plenty of easier walks that will still challenge you and give you some wonderful safe experiences in the mountains.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Last time I was there, my husband and I spend a night in Katoomba. We walked from our hotel over to the Three Sisters and then down the (Giant/Golden?) staircase, then along the valley floor to the base of the funicular railway and rode it back to the top and then walked back to our hotel from there. It was a lovely few hours and a terrific introduction to the area. You could easily do this walk from the Katoomba train station. Taking on something a bit less daunting will give you time to enjoy the views and make some stops along the way.

The other hike I've done from Katoomba is Broken Castle. This was rigorous and difficult and my friend and I were exhausted at the end (we went with a bunch of Swiss, German and Austrian backpackers who were much fitter than we were). The hike included numerous ladders to get down to the valley floor, and quite a strenuous scramble up to the rock formation known as Broken Castle. Lots of leaches in the valley that would get into your shoes and we stopped to check our feet every hour or so (it was wet and muddy on this trip. Drier for the hike above, so we didn't have to deal with leaches)

If you are unsure, then err on the side of caution. Until you know the area and what its demands are, you don't want to get in over your head.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

I would suggest something far easier given your total lack of experience & time limitation. The walk vancouverite has suggested above would be ideal.

wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Hi to All

Thks Evamelb for the advice - I am being too ambitious to attempt the National Pass walk. Really glad you knock some sense into me.

Noted that the walk suggested by Vancouverite6 is also rated a '4'. So can my family, being novices, attempt it ?

What about the 'Under & Overcliff Walk' - as it's rated a 3 and also start point is just off the Wentworth Falls train station ? Alternatively, can anyone recommend other walk in the vicinity of Wentworth Falls that is about 2-3 hrs that my family can do ?

Thks & Regds

Purple

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,974 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

The stairs down are pretty strenuous, but the rest is easy, especially with the train to get to the top of the bluffs again. Unless the staircase would be an issue for you, you should be fine with that one.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Hi -

If you aren't put off by the effort required, then I'd do the National Pass walk.

16 years and 20 years aren't children. It isn't as if you have to watch them at every cliff edge.

The National Pass walk is well marked, relatively recently restored, and popular. In terms of safety, better to do a walk that is marked and popular IMO.

See the website..

http://nationalpass.com.au/

Maybe call into the National Parks office and have a chat with them before you head off. I'm sure they'll steer you in the right direction.

…nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkContact.aspx…

The ruined castle walk is one where I think it is easier to get lost, and much more remote if you do.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Hi inas66

Thanks for the link on the National Pass trail. One of the reasons why i am eager to do this trail is the beautiful scenery, being one of Australia's best and the fact that I may not have the chance to come back to BM.

I assume that you have done this trail before. You mentioned that it is well marked and together with the guide available on this trail from the webpage of wildwalks, i would not be lost right ? Which part of the trail in your opinion is the most difficult and why ? Can you also help with the second paragraph of my question on the part from the station to the Conservation Hut ( which i assume is the start of the trail ) ?

I would like to hear all your views before deciding if my family would attempt this trail or do the 'Under & Overcliff Walk' , which is rated a 3 ?

Thks & Regds

purple

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

My kids did it in their early teens but please note they have done walks since they were in backpacks.

The biggest issue is how fit are you. Do you regularly engage in significant endurance activities or are you mostly sedentary. for me the hardest part of national pass is always descent as i get the knee wobbles.

Ruined Castle IMHO is somewhat more strenuous (we camped overnight as we went further on)

TBH the biggest issue walking in dec may well be fire danger and carrying adequate water, walking here is more often a winter pastime.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Hi to all of u

Thanks for all the advice given to me from the DEs from TA.

Back home a week ago from 3 wonderful weeks in Australia ( Sydney / Tasmania / Perth ).

We were hesitant about doing the National Pass trail, being novices in bush walking. With advice and encouragement from all of u, my family decided to attempt this trail.

The views - great and awesome - something that my family will never forget. Doing the trail IS the highlight of our entire trip. Yes, there were many steps and it took us about 4.5 hrs to finish but it was worth it.

Thank you so much.

Regds

purple

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for National Pass walk in the BM

Thank you for reporting back. 'm glad you enjoyed the walk