We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sydney beaches?

Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Topic
Best Sydney beaches?

My friend and I (mid 20s) have a week in Sydney in January. We plan to divide the time with a few days in the city and a few days at nearby beaches. We're reading about Bondi and Coogee and also the beaches from Manly up to Palm Beach in the north. We enjoy natural beauty as well as interesting places with things to do. Any suggestions for how to allocate our time will be much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

A lot of your timing will depend on the weather, but if it's good those you mention will be crowded, particularly weekends. The Bondi to Coogee walk could take you the best part of the day, but you get to see/swim in other lovely beaches such as Bronte & Clovelly along the way.

Another option is Cronulla Beach - you can catch the train right there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

Provided you use public transport, any of those beaches would be fine ... parking is a nightmare around beaches on a warm day and during school holidays.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

If it were me I would hop onto the L90 and go to one of the Northern beaches - Dee Why, Collaroy, Curl Curl, Narabeen Whale Beach, Avalon - I think they are better beaches but it's a personal choice. There are also some really nice harborside beaches which are great for swimming as they are more protected. Balmoral, Nielsen Park, Shelly beach, Fairlight, Chowder Bay- all serviced by public transport.

Don't forget the hat and 30+ sunscreen.

australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

Palm Beach is beautiful but a longish way out of town and pretty quiet.

Bondi and Manly are big beaches with lots of action and people. Lots of take-away dining options, whereas Palm beach is a bit limited. Plus with Manly you have the bonus of going by ferry!

As Mia has suggested, the Bondi walk is pretty special.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

just don't forget to swim between the red & yellow flags whichever beach you choose.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

another option.. would take at least a whole day. head to the souhern beaches. u can catch a train and visit stanmore park, wollongong & kiama.. magnificent natural beauty..by train takes about 2 hrs to kiama which is the furthest of the three. the train ride is pretty nice as it runs by the ocean.

if your hiring a car then drive through royal national park n then to stanmore park, wollongong n last but not the least kiama. the blow hole in kiama is very beautiful.. you'll love it. you can go hiking, bushwalking in royal national park which covers over 130sq km and is very wild n beautiful. its only 40ks from sydney city!

Have a great trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
1,597 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

My vote goes to Manly Beach for a tourist. Its a lovely ferry ride from Circular Quay taking in stunning views of Sydney Harbour.

Palm Beach is a excellent day trip which can easily be done from Manly. See links below for additional information.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c53355/Sydney…

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

Hi there

If you were able to stay out for Sydney for a couple of nights Newcastle has some lovely beaches or even the central coast such as Towoon Bay.

Kind Regards

Merran

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

I agree that Manly beach is a nice beach plus you get a ferry ride which is great in itself.

Also 1.5 hours drive north of Sydney is Terrigal or Avoca beach. Both beautiful beaches with a nice drive to get there. If you will have a car of course.

10. Re: Best Sydney beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:41