We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Symphony in the Domain

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Symphony in the Domain

What would be a "reasonable" time to go down to the Domain to get a good spot for the performance? I am not interested in camping out though ;o) Is it acceptable to leave a blanket out to "reserve" your spot and go off for the afternoon and come back?

Thanks again!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
831 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Symphony in the Domain

Hi J0an, your blanket strategy sounds a bit like the stories of German tourists claiming the poolside sun lounges by getting out before breakfast and draping towels over them :-) Wouldn't work in the Domain, I'm afraid.

Much depends I suppose on what you call a 'good' spot. As the performance is run through an amplification system, you're not going to get concert-hall acoustics even if you score a place right in the middle. Sound is OK almost everywhere. Some folk prefer to be on the side (easier to get out), for others being near (or away from) the portaloos is important. I'd suggest no later than 3 or 4pm for a 'good' spot.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Symphony in the Domain

THANK YOU Aussie_Cygnet! I am so glad I asked! I know we have a similar production in August in Victoria, and now, if you are not in your lawn chair or on the blanket, the "symphony police" take them away. People would put up their chairs the night before and expect to sit down ten minutes before the show. Not any more....

We will be guests in your country, and it is important to me to behave like one! We will pack a picnic dinner, and some of those wonderful Aussie books, and wait for the show.

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
201 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Symphony in the Domain

Where will you be staying? Don't drive your car and park it in the Domain Parking Station as you will spend many hours trying to get out. Walk if possible and aim to get there as it was suggested by 3.00pm with happy food and bubbles maybe!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Symphony in the Domain

We'll be in Dulwich Hill and using the public transit... no driving! Would liquor be allowed in the park John? I know people here do it, but it isn't "legal".

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
201 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Symphony in the Domain

here is the detail from their web site -

Patrons are reminded of the following guidelines:

• No pegging into the ground or reserving of unattended areas

• No high chairs or beach umbrellas

• No plastic sheeting or ice on the grass as this kills the lawns

• Festival in The Domain concerts are Waste Wise Events so please recycle using the waste system provided and help save our environment

No need to BYO!

A range of food and drinks will be available from early afternoon through to the end of the evening. Wine and beer will be available at the Festival bars.

DO BRING sunscreen, extra water and a hat.

Not sure if they check eskies on arrival like they do at the cricket, so to save any embarrasment, buy drinks there. Your nearest railway station would be St James station which is covered direct by trains from Dulwich Hill. If you want an accurate timetable google search cityrail timetable.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Symphony in the Domain

Something to be aware of is that Dulwich Hill has two sets of shops; the train station is in the set nearer to Marrickville, which is actually a fair walk from the other set. Depending on where you are staying, you may be better off catching the bus, or walking to Summer Hill or Lewisham train station.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,515 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Symphony in the Domain

We've been going to the Opera and Symphony on & off for the last 25+ years; always take some champagne or wine with our picnic. Never had a problem and it saves lining up for expensive vin ordinaire.

Joan, it's worthwhile taking a couple of low "sand" chairs, as the lawn can get pretty hard after a few hours. They're cheap to buy from Target, K Mart, Big W; fold up and are light to carry. don't take anything as tall as a Director's chair - people behind you won't be able to see.

Take a small torch/flashlight, too. Can be useful in finding your way back to your blanket after a trip to the 'loo.

Enjoy your night.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Symphony in the Domain

J0an the low chairs are a great idea. If not those then at least some cushions. A sun umbrella for some shade - one that will stay up on it's own if you can borrow one is better. Certai ly a wide brimmed hat and loads of sunscreen.

I'm afraid I'm very intolerant of people who stake their spot and then leave. I would never toss their blanket away but I have been known to fold it neatly into a very small size ;-)

You will by then have brought along a staggering number of books by Australian authors so you will be able to spend a pleasant few hours reading. I'll be somewhere else at the Domain on that afternoon with my e-reader ;-0

We always take a picnic hamper full of grazing foods - olives, cheeses, seafood , fresh fruit etc. Just finger food. I see plenty of people who do the whole catastrophe with plates, napkins, 3 course meals - personally I couldn't be bothered but they seem to behaving fun. Good it's a large group I suspect. I do however ensure a good supply of some nice chilled wine and have never had a problem brining it along. Unless it rains it's a fabulous evening under the stars. Leave a bit of wine for the end and stay put for a while after the performance to let the crowds dissipate or you'll get caught in an awful crush.

Your trip is coming together really well I think.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Symphony in the Domain

JOan, another idea if you intend getting to the Domain very early is for one of you to visit the NSW Art Gallery just accross the road, whilst the other stays on minding your great spot, reading those Aussie books and hopefully enjoying the sunshine, then you could swap. The Gallery is a worthwhile visit and has a great bookshop! Also nearby in College St is St Marys Cathedral, also worth a quick visit. So your time waiting for the Symphony to start, can offer you great alternatives. Hope you enjoy the everning, it usually is lots of fun as is the Jazz night!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,450 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Symphony in the Domain

Thanks ozsavvy! Just what I will need... another bookshop ;o) Actually, I have been up since 4:00 a.m. here. I couldn't sleep, so I just finished "googling" all these bookstores and getting the exact address. Have typed them all out, and printed 3 lists, the stores, the authors and titles, and a seperate one for the kids' books. I need to find a good map of Sydney next!

Do you like jazz? Diana Krall is from Nanaimo; don't know if you listen to her.