We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

victoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

I'd like to start by saying the actual van as well as the service i got from matt in the sydney office was great. unfortunately, Apollo camper failed in every other way. i lost over $300+ in errors made by this company when using my credit card. first, they overcharged my credit card (when i clearly only authorised them for a lesser amount) when i had already paid a deposit, and when they refunded this amount, i lost over $150 in credit card fees, and changes in exchange rates. then they refunded my bond (less 2% fee, when mastercard charges 0.98% fee), to a DIFFERENT card that i used, so ive had to pay another $150+ in fees, exchange rates and bank cheque costs to send the amount back to the correct credit card.

the company accepts no responsibility and mirrors every other review i see about these guys. no wonder they dont have a TA account. they realise it would be all bad reviews!!!

Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
699 reviews
from US$167.82*
Sydney BridgeClimb
973 reviews
from US$128.10*
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
125 reviews
from US$170.26*
Special Offer
Blue Mountains Wildlife Day Tour from...
1,037 reviews
from US$62.83*
US$125.67
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

so why didn't you use TA to find out all about this mob BEFORE you hired the van?? or even google?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

While it is unfortunate that the campervan people made the mistake on your card, it is not their fault your bank charges all these fees. You said they refunded you for their mistake. I feel their responsibility ends there.

victoria
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

yes, we could have done a little more research on reviews rather than just the comparison we did on vehicle type, price etc

and yes, they refunded their mistake, but it was because of their mistake (twice) that these costs were incurred. compensation could be expected, because i wouldnt be out $300+ if they hadnt made errors.

lets not forget the general customer service here. out of about 6 people i have corresponded with from this company, only the guy i was face to face with acted like a human being.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

Really bad experience picking up the hippie camper in Sydney. Apollo, Hippie, Britz and several others are all operated by the same office (Apollo). On arrival, we were more or less ignored for 2 hours (told to be patient and wait), after which the process was painfully slow and staff seemed incompetent, lazy, not hurried and had poor command of English.

When we finally worked through the paperwork, and were ready to collect our vehicle - despite booking ahead, they couldn't find it, and then once they had located it we waited another hour for it to be cleaned. In total, we spent 3.5 hours waiting for the camper van. Staff did not seem bothered by us waiting and were baffled when we said we'd like to complain. It seemed the office was hugely understaffed for the number of people collecting vehicles.

The camper van radio didn't work.

This is not a reflection on the concept of camper van holidays - and we had great fun with our camper, once we got away from the zombie-like, useless staff in the Sydney office.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Poole, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

We flew out from London for a month.....

We hired a Euro camper - Ford Transit long wheel base from Apollo Sydney.

Reg XEX 998

The pick up went smooth - however......

We were not happy with the camper as it was really tatty and not very clean.

We really had no choice as sitting with our luggage what else could we do?

We decided to take the van as we may have been offered smaller or larger vans as a replacement...if any.

The windscreen leaked from the top when at rest in heavy rain and flooded the cab.

The windscreen leaked from the passenger side base spraying water.

The passenger door rubber was damaged and poorly repaired with silicon, this also leaked badly.

The curtains were filthy

One of the gas rings did not work.

The gas bottle was nearly empty & we soon had to refill it en-route (13 dollars).

Electric kettle did not work.

Steering pulled to the left, the brakes were crap.

Tatty body work damage with no attempt to repair.

Rear bench bed upholstery fell to floor as soon as vehicle moved - no restraints, what a mess that looked.

Spanner warning lights up on consul......

The bottom line is that the van was an embarrassment to be seen in especially when we met up with family.

The van should have been taken out of service and repaired.

Poor show by Apollo who should know better. I was making complaints on return but soon realised the staff did not care..........

Mike Turner Feb 2012

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

Hi Kay187054

This is Rebecca from Britz Campervans. We were disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent Hippie campervan experience, however we would like to advise that we (Britz) are not one of the brands associated with Hippie and Apollo. We were pleased to read that, despite the service from Hippie, you did enjoy your campervan experience.

Kind regards

The Customer Care team – Britz Campervans

shelley drive...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

I couldnt agree more:

NEVER EVER AGAIN APOLLO CAMPER

This company ruined our holiday on the last day we gave back the van;

We started from melbourne - we had to wait almost 3 hours to get the van, extremly unfriendly, the van was old, lights didnt work, fridge didnt work, people hang up the phone when we rang - after letting us wait in the waiting line for more than 30 minutes; it was a mirracle that the van didnt break down; when we gave back the car - because of a little scratch which already has been there before - I even took a picture when we left - they charged us 462 dollars PLUS 100$ bond - (for a little scratch on the right red light - a little red plastic which costs 4$); - and Mr. Kurt Thomas - the manager of the melbourne branch - treated us in the worst way one can possibly imagine, me and my girlfriend where speechless; this ruined our holiday;

DONT USE APOLLO CAMPER / HIPPIE CAMPER!!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 21:41
shelley drive...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

PS: the customer service - via email - even threatened us - that if we are not fine with the additional 100$ bond (and agree via email immediately and take the case with mr kurt thomas further) - we will have to pay additional 75$ administration fee AND 35$ per day penalty because we didnt call them immediately (because of a scratch.... and its impossible to get through to apollo anyway!)

Mr. Kurt Thomas said - PLEASE, PLEASE thats weird, we take the money because we can, you signed ....

thats the way to do it nowadays .... just take the money because "you have the bigger gun", better lawyer, bigger company .... or because a tourist who has to fly home cant defend him/ herself in a foreign country ......

NEVER AGAIN APOLLO CAMPER;

Edited: 07 March 2012, 21:50
brisbane
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

Hi guys,

It’s Camilla from Apollo here. I’d like to help you out so it would be great if you could send me your booking/confirmation reference numbers so I can track down the details of your hire and see what we can do for you.

Frippy1 – Great that Matt in Sydney gave you such good service. We’d like to investigate the credit card refund further for you once we have your booking reference.

Kay187054 – Did you let our branch staff know about your radio issues? I’d be happy to look into this when I have your reference number as music is very important for a road trip!

Mike T – Hi Mike, I notice you’ve posted this on another forum. Our staff do care about any issues you might have so if you can give me your booking reference I’d be happy to investigate this further.

Serapis777 – Hey Shelley, You would have filled out and signed a vehicle inspection report prior to taking your vehicle so if the scratch is on the report we can definitely look at helping you out with this fee. Once I’ve got your reference number I’ll be able to look into this one in more detail.

Looking forward to helping you out with these things.

Kind regards,

Camilla

Apollo Motorhome Holidays

uk
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DO NOT USE Hippie Camper (Apollo Camper)

1.Company wouldnt honor their insurance cover, I am having to fight the case through the courts.

2.Hippie and the whole Apollo group apply excessive fees and charges which are not advertised and are compulsory.

3.The van was very old and in poor condition/unclean.

My advice is to go elsewhere, even at the budget end there are much better alternatives. Jucy Rentals is an excellent one that I have used before.