We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family accommodation

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
family accommodation

Hi we are visitng next January holidays and are looking for ideas on family accommodation. Not fussed on location just not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family accommodation

try stayz.com for good family ideas.Hyde Park Inn is in the centre and has family Rooms.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family accommodation

What are you plannning on doing while you're in Sydney? It's a big city and location is everything as commuting times can be extensive. Sydney has something to offer all budgets so to narrow it down you need to have an idea of the area you want to stay in and a nightly budget. How many people in the family and how long are you staying??

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family accommodation

Have you considered the YHA at the Rocks? A 4 or 5 bed family room with private bathroom is $170 a night. The location is unbeatable. Not sure if they take bookings a year in advance though. You would have to check. Their other Sydney hostels are cheaper but still get good reviews. www.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family accommodation

I'd suggest a cottage or something similar. It might not be the size or budget you are after (how big is your family?), but our family of four stayed in the australia street cottage (www.australiastreetcottage.com) earlier in the year and had a great stay. There were a few pluses:

* you could park your car (I imagine you are probably flying though!).

* it is a short stroll to Newtown's king street (for shops, restaurants etc).

* you can self cater (it has a kitchen).

* there is a big park across the road (for kids letting off steam).

* it is a short commute into the CBD where everything is.

There are other options on stayz in this area too, which I like, but is not everyone's cup of tea (it can be 'lively' on a Friday and Saturday night).

I agree that the Rocks location is fantastic. Depends on your priorities, how private you want your stay to be, how old your kids are etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family accommodation

Having stayed at the harbour YHA if you went with then an essential is a top floor room. due to noise issues. Clean and basic but well located for the price. I'd also look at the meriton apartments (or simliiar) as self cooking facilities will save a family $$ (yes YHA has cooking but it is communal so during peak times can be a bit busy)

In january you may also desire a pool and the option to aircon the room while you are out....which you don't have at YHA

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family accommodation

You may not be able to book for January 2013 as yet ... I tried a couple of sites today for next year (seems strange thinking about 2013 as "next year") but couldn't get past 31st December 2012.

7. Re: family accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2013, 10:20