We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a special trip to Sydney for NYE 2012 and we have been researching hotels.

Our first choice, well only choice at the minute is the Holiday Inn, the Rocks, simply because of the private roof top terrace for hotel guests.

The prices however for NYE have just been released and obviously with a minimum 3 night stay, the rooms per night are about £600. which for a holiday inn is silly money, I would expect to pay that in the Shangri-la or Four Seasons.

Can anyone tell me if this is the standard rate for hotels in Sydney for NYE with spectacular views of the fireworks.

This really is going to be a one in a lifetime trip for us, and I don't mind spending the money, but just wanted to know what the 'norm' was for NYE in Sydney. Or if anyone can recommend any other hotels with private roof tops for guests.

Any advice or thoughts really would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Laura :)

1. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 12:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

unfortunately they have you over a barrel, you can expect to pay that for a room at the Shang or FS without a view, or for the one night at a restaurant but you can then add acoom at $700 A to that.

Other rooftops Intercontinental Club Rooms and limited other standards, Park Hyatt, but that is the same price as you are quoting not in NYE....Quay Grand balconies IC and QG better located IMHO for fireworks that HI

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

Firstly, good on you for trying to lock something in now ! If you decide it's all too much and leave it for a couple of months then change your mind, it may be too late to get the accommodation of your choice within your budget !

As Guruswife notes, the price is not that unusual particularly for more or less "front row seats".

There are quite a few hotels that cost a lot more than the price you've been quoted - not a lot of comfort to you I know !! All of the hotels that I looked at in the city for last NYE wanted a minimum 3 night stay and some in the suburbs wanted a longer stay and all had much higher prices than their normal rack rate.

And speaking of suburbs, you'll pay a premium in the suburbs for NYE too as the prices for accommodation are (usually) cheaper than the CBD (Central Business District).

If you have a look at the link under "Accommodation" in the NYE Sticky above your post on this forum, you may find something else more in keeping with the budget you had in mind, but then you may have to pay a high price for a restaurant or another venue as GW notes above.

Have a look at this thread for some of the venues available in 2011 and the prices they charged.

tripadvisor.com.au/…37872933

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
508 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

Have you looked at the Quay West Suites in the rock which is inbetween the Four Seasons and Shangr-La. Apartment style but fantastic facilites and location and truely 5 star!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,072 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

The HI apart from the view it offers from the roof and its location in the Rocks is in my humble opinion very much only a 3 star hotel. The rooms are small and in many cases dated and the buffet breakfast is average to say the least. We stayed there on a WOTIF secret hotel at $A110 per night (rack rate $A300). If you want tp pay an extra $400 - $500 to see the fireworks then so be it, but not for this kiwi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

Hi,

My preference for paying $$$$ for a top hotel with a view would be the Quay Grand Suites - fabulous views of the Harbour Bridge if you book the harbour view rooms however they are not cheap.

All the rooms in NYE are ridiculously expensive - so if you are willing to pay big bucks then I would be opting for a little more than the HI.

Edited: 20 January 2012, 12:02
7. Re: Holiday Inn The Rocks - NYE - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:20