We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Joan again and again - trip report continued...

On Tuesday morning, Dave and I headed back into the city. We decided to use the train just for a change of scenery, and got off at Central Station. It had been raining on and off all morning, but we didn’t think that would matter much as we were going to be “shopping” in Chinatown and Paddy’s Markets most of the day anyway. Well, guess what! Paddy’s Markets only closes one day a week and it is on Tuesday! At first we thought we just needed to go around the building and find the proper door. I finally got out my brochure that I had picked up the first week here about the markets and found out we were never going to find an open door!

We wandered the streets in Chinatown, picked up a couple of souvenirs for friends at home, and actually bought a pair of UGG mittens for one of our daughters. She is going to be heading off to grad school in September, and where ever she goes, it will be a whole lot colder and snowier than Nanaimo ever gets. She already loves her UGG boots, so I was glad to get her some mitts to go with them.

We eventually ended up on Pitt Street and Dave picked a place for lunch. I finally got my Aussie beef burger, complete with beetroot. We continued walking along Pitt Street ducking into different shops that interested us, or just to get out of the rain! We went into the Strand Arcade and had our afternoon cappuccino and latte. Back out on Pitt Street, we just kept on walking, and eventually ended up at Cirqular Quay. We boarded the train, and headed back to Dulwich Hill and dinner with Linda. We took her to the Sun Thai restaurant. It was closed for over a year with the remodelling, and has only reopened a month ago. It was very good! We shared an appetizer, and then ordered two main dishes with rice, and it was plenty for the three of us.

Wednesday turned out to be a lazy day. The weather didn’t inspire us at all, so we just hung out around Dulwich Hill for the day. Dave got his hair cut, and we did our banking, got some groceries for the picnic lunch tomorrow, and the best part...had our afternoon coffees with Portuguese tarts! It was a lovely little place right on Marrickville Road. I might have to visit there again before we head home!

Australia Day...we were not sure what to do with the uncertainty of the weather, but we stuck with the original plan, and packed up our picnic, complete with Lamingtons, and headed to the city. It was a slow ride in on the bus, and we had to really hustle to get over to Mrs. McQ’s chair for the start of the ferry race. Or at least we thought we did. We thought the race started at Circular Quay, not out at the Heads. But we got to watch all the boats,ships, yachts, go by on their way out to the starting line. And we got SOAKED! That wonderful jacket I bought for our trip to Cairns finally got used! After the ferry race, we decided to just stay there and eat the picnic lunch. Anywhere else was just as wet, so we just sat on our towels and enjoyed the buns and Lamingtons. We walked through the gardens and made our way to Castlereagh Street to catch the bus back to Dulwich Hill. Lazed away the afternoon, and then just after five we went over to Greenwich where Linda’s dad lives. We went to aThai restaurant for dinner nearby in Crows Nest. It was the best I have had yet, but I could not finish it all. We went back to the house and watched the fireworks from the front of the house leaving for home shortly after that, as Dave and Linda had an early morning today. They have already been out to Manly Beach before sunrise for a photo shoot. Needless to say, I did not go!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Hi Joan,

You comments were very short about your Aussie beef burger with beetroot, what did you think?

Sorry you missed Paddy's, maybe next time.

Great read as usual, looing forward to the next one.

Cheers Robert

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:28
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Hi Rob! I remembered from another thread (maybe Dougo??) about his company from America commenting on the beetroot in the burger. Australia is the only place in the world that I can remember getting beetroot in a burger. It isn't bad, just different. I don't mind it at all, and I actually said to Dave that we should get our kids to try it. I pickle beets every summer so it isn't hard to get them! They are in that famous crawl space of mine!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Hi Joan,

I suppose it's what you grow up eating, just like Vegemite, even I only like Vegemite in small portion, yet Sue smothers her toast, shiver!!.

If I get to Nanaimo, I going to come and have a look at this crawl space.

Cheers

Robert

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Sounds like a nice relaxing few days on the whole. It's a shame about the weather. Very muggy and uncomfortable... and inspiring for not doing much of anything.

I feel I must say that NZ also puts beetroot on their burgers :o)

Hey I found another activity for Australia Day too.. the bus transport museum was running vintage bus tours in a loop around the city yesterday. :o) I might have to assemble a list of Aussie Day things that aren't part of the official progam.

Keep your feet up JOan... cicadas are singing here. Making sure we notice the sun's come out. haha won't last long I dare say!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Another fab trip report Joan, I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Sydney. I absolutely love beetroot on my burgers.. Yum..

Pity about the weather but rain seems to be everywhere at the moment or it just seems to be following me lately over these school hols. Hopefully; summer will turn up soon !

Thanks for sharing ..

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

You all need to be in northern Tassie, where the weather is warm the days are clearish, and the forecast is good. :)

Edited: 27 January 2012, 04:45
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Sshh Rob. You don't want the weather gods to hear you say that! Crikey.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Snodge, everyday is perfect in Tas, rain hail, snow or shine, sometimes all in one day.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Rob, have you ever used the phrase... "if you don't like the weather now, just wait five minutes!"

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Joan again and again - trip report continued...

Ah... so Rob, you must be of the "take the weather with you" school of thought. An admirable attitude :o)

Unchanging weather does get a tad dull, though I am still not sick of rain after a decade of drought. Geez my toes aren't even wrinkley yet.

... I might feel differently if I lived in Nthn NSW or Sthn Qld I suppose. I bet they are sick of rain in a big big way.