We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King's Cross Safety Concerns

Chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
King's Cross Safety Concerns

Hey Everyone,

I'm heading to Sydney in May and considering a B&B in the Potts Point neighborhood.

I understand this is close to King's Cross neighborhood which I've heard some bad things about. I would be arriving at King's Cross station from the airport around 10pm on a Saturday night - should I have concerns walking from the station to my B&B at this hour? How is the safety of the area in general?

I know often times the character of an area is exaggerated so I figured I should check with the experts. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

There are several highly regarded B&B's at Potts Point and these are generally at the northern end of the suburb. The Kings Cross section is further south around the railway station.

At that hour on a saturday night the area will be crowded and brightly lit. So long as you exit the station onto Darlighurst Rd turn left to Macleay street where you turn left again. It is about a 10 minute walk to your accommodation. I would not loiter around but keep moving and you should be quite safe. Simply look confident that you know where your are and where you are going.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

Personally, I'd catch a taxi. I've never been a fan of Kings Cross and have always felt uneasy walking through there, but that's just me.

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
884 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

I'd second oscarpebble's caution. I wouldn't relish dragging luggage (or just schlepping myself and a backpack) along Darlinghurst Road and Macleay Street on a Saturday night.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

At that time on a Saturday night if you get a cab be prepared to sit and wait in heaps of traffic ....... hubby drives a limo and absolutely hates when he has to drive through the cross on a Saturday night simply because most of the time you are stationary.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

My cousin has lived in Macleay street for 20+ years and we're quite often walking along the strip where you would be around 10-11 pm and never had a problem.

There can be and frequently is trouble along the strip between William Street and the El Alamein fountain (a little to the north of the railway station exit) - but from what I understand, it's usually midnight or later before the any of that nonsense starts up. It's certainly an issue, but I've never witnessed anything nor felt threatened in the slightest. Being a female might be an advantage in this instance. It seems to be young guys who mostly get into strife, either of their own or some drunken lout's making.

There are lots of backpackers & other tourists in the area, so it's not at all uncommon to see someone walking along with a bag. Just know where you're going & head off confidently - as you would tell me if I asked you about Chicago.

As danaiglu says, it's peak traffic time and if you're going to take a cab from the airport, I'd suggest you come around via Cowper Wharf Road and into Victoria Street from the Northern end of Macleay street.

Actually on a Saturday night there won't be much traffic coming in from the airport and I personally wouldn't be fagged messing about with trains when a cab will take me door-to-door after a long-leg flight.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

I agree - take a taxi.

There has been some concern noted in the news about a few "hot spots" in the city but as Bokhara mentions, as the night wears on usually that's when concerns increase due to drunken louts and drink fueled behaviour.

Chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

Thank you everyone so much for your advice.

I think the taxi from the airport is a great idea and I will do that.

It sounds like King's Cross is a bit "rough and tumble", but as long as I don't go wandering into dark alleys late at night and I am smart (I hope I've done enough international traveling to be smart!), then it appears I should be fine.

Thanks again - this place is always great for advice. :-)

Brian

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

Brian,

Would you please post your experience & impressions during or after your trip?

First hand feedback from a visitor with a reasonable amount & range of travel as a reference point is invaluable.

I can only speak as a local and although I know the area well, my perspective & filters will naturally be different from most first time visitors.

There are some great bistros and restaurants along Macleay street and streets off it. Most of them would be full at 10pm - we'll be at one tonight. The only deterrent for me is the difficulty finding a parking spot.

But then I'm not going to a nightclub later to get tanked on drugs or booze or come into contact with those idiots who are. Almost without exception the trouble starts in or outside those venues.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 20:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

Hi,

My daughter lives in Potts Point & we often visit her & have dinner etc.. we love it. The most problems occur after midnight around 2 - 3am when all the drunks are out.

Potts Point / kings Cross houses over 40 wine bar / clubs so naturally your going to get trouble late at night. Just do what you do in your home town.

Don't stay out till the wee hours alone. If drinking in a bar - only buy your own drinks & don't take out any valuables.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: King's Cross Safety Concerns

I go to the Cross quite often although admittedly not on a Saturday night. I tend to walk down Victoria Street rather than the parallel Darlinghurst Road which can be sleazy at times. Macleay Street is very smart and I suspect your B&B is in that area. That said, take a taxi and get your bearings after you have settled in. Have fun!