We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a rainy day?

Gordonsville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a rainy day?

Unfortunately, it has rained everyday we have been here and the next couple of days are not looking much better. Any ideas on what we can do on another rainy day? We have done the bus tour and in between showers, we did walk along gardens and opera house. I really want to do a ferry to Manly, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea when the forecast is calling for rain. I typically don't do museums (I like to see the natural art instead) but may have to spend a day in a museum.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Go Kayaking :o) I've kayaked in the rain in winter and it was great. Wet rainy summer kayaking has to be great too!

Manly is a good option for kayaking and other things. ..and the water is still warm even if it is raining and cool air temperatures. Perhaps consider visiting Q Station while you're over there. Don't let the weather cramp your style :o)

Or you could get a bus out to Palm Beach. You can do that from Manly with a change at Brookvale or Dee Why. In the bus you sit high up and travel past lots of lovely beaches, which are also beautiful in wet weather, though perhaps they won't have the sparkle they would in the sun.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 22:01
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Hi

The forecast for tomorrow is much better & the weekend we may see the sun make a return!

This afternoon sounds horrid so I would head indoors. Wildlife Sydney is pretty much all indoors if you really don't want to go to a museum. Shopping would be another option, particularly the Queen Victoria Building which is lovely to stroll around.

Mia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Sorry you are experiencing so much rain- Sydney weather has not been good this summer.

We were on the Bridge Climb in the rain a few weeks ago which we didnt mind but then an electrical storm moved in so we were "evacuated"

So long as you have good wet weather gear, try to do all that you planned.

If you decide on a museum, I recommend The Australian Museum www.australianmuseum.net.au There is a very good art exhibition on at present - The Yiwarra Kuju Canning Stock Route exhibition- This exhibition reveals the untold stories of the Aboriginal people living near the Canning Stock Route.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Climb the 200 steps to the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge Pylon - even on a wet day the views are spectacular www.pylonlookout.com.au

Do a tour of the Opera House www.sydneyoperahouse.com/tours.aspx

Take a historical guided walk of The Rocks (all you need is an umbrella) www.rockswalkingtours.com.au/

Visit the Powerhouse Museum www.powerhousemuseum.com

Wander around Chinatown and Paddys Markets and pick up some bargains. www.paddysmarkets.com.au

Visit Vaucluse House www.hht.net.au/museums/vaucluse_house

Take a train ride to the Blue Mountains - even if it's misty and raining it's worth seeing.

Visit Fox Studios http://www.eqmoorepark.com.au/home/ - not my personal cup of tea but lots of people like it.

Go to the Art Gallery of NSW - its free except for special exhibitions. They currently have a Picasso Exhibition on which you may be interested in www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au

Go to the Museum of Contemporary Art at The Rocks - also free www.mca.com.au

Really, apart from sitting on the beach, there's not much you can't do as long as you have a rainjacket and an umbrella. It's wet, but at least it's still warm.

Enjoy the rest of your (unfortunately) soggy stay.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

I would strongly advise not going to the Blue Mountains during wet weather ( particularly today!) as there is a good chance you will be disappointed in what you see. ( or don't see!)

We have had many people express disappointment here when they've been to the BMs on a wet or foggy day. For locals or those that have been before its probably quite a nice/ different experience, but I would not recommend it for a 1 st time visitor.

Mia

Edited: 01 February 2012, 23:33
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

>>Really, apart from sitting on the beach, there's not much you can't do as long as you have a rainjacket and an umbrella. It's wet, but at least it's still warm.<<

I agree. The (previous) drought broke the weekend hubby and I went to Sydney. We walked around the Botanic Gardens and Taronga Zoo and all the way up the city from Circular Quay to our hotel as planned. If there's a storm warning or forecast of hail you wouldn't want to be out, and there's things that you may as well give a miss if the effort required/chance of being able to see something don't match up, but otherwise if you're on holidays why not go for it! Why do something you don't want to do and didn't come all this way to do like hang around museums? Some of us are stuck at home trying to fix leaks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

If you're in Sydney for a short time only, there's not a lot you can do except grin and bear it !

Put on a rain poncho, take a cheap fold up umbrella and then do the things you planned to do ... maybe not the HOHO on the top deck tho ' - and maybe not if the rain is falling in buckets - lol

If that doesn't appeal, there's always

Shopping

Coffee

Drinking

Eating

Edited: 02 February 2012, 00:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Hi saracs80, sorry that you are here in one of our wettest summers! And please don`t let if spoil your holiday. Have you been to the Sydney Acquarium (and next door is Sydney Wildlife) ? This is a good way to spend a few hours!

If you do decide to go to a museum, maybe consider the Sydney Museum in Bridge St...it has a good display of the history of the city. Also interesting is the Hyde Park Barracks in Macquarie St, its main perspective is convict history.

Good luck and let`s all hope the rain eases....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,392 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

head west but not up...so less rain in places like featherdale but places like the BMs are awful due to orographic effects.

Similar story heading south due the the escarpment causing huge dumpings on National park..

Might work doing the river cat to parramatta or even to Bicentennial/Olympic park

Nothing at Fox to do anymore other the goes to the movies and a lame markets on a weekend...

Gordonsville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Thanks everyone! I am here on business and had three days to enjoy before meetings. At the last minute, I threw rain jacket and umbrella in my suitcase and they have been invaluable! Staying at the Westin which is a great location for many things. I managed to walk the Botanic Gardens to Opera House, took the double decker bus tour and stopped at Paddy's Market as well as Bondi, did some of the Bondi walk along the coast and took a ferry to Manly, and had dinner at Wolfies overlooking the water. I will have a couple of hours tomorrow morning (until noon) before my flight. Any suggestions on things I haven't seen? I was thinking of maybe taking a bus to Newtown for unusual shopping, but not sure if shops will be open on Sunday morning.