We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joan's last week (part 1)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Joan's last week (part 1)

Hello again! It's been a while, so you shall have to bear with me...or go get a coffee, or if it late enough, a glass of wine before you start reading this! That is your only warning.

Friday, January 27th, a whole week ago, Dave and Linda were up at three thirty to go to Manly for the sunrise. I don't remember what time they got back, but I was quite content to stay at "home" and read. Eventually, I did have to make an effort to get up, and after some breakfast, Dave and I headed out for a walk to Marrickville. It's a great little town, bigger than Dulwich Hill actually, and after going through the town so often on the 426 bus, we were happy to be able to explore it up close! And you have to love the scenery on the awnings above the shops! We were crossing the road back and forth to take pictures of them, and making sure we didn't miss any. For those of you NOT from the area, or have never been to Marrickville, I am writing about the "mannequins" above the stores. Above the menswear store there are two men dressed in nice attire. Above the haridresser there is a woman sitting in the chair getting her hair blowdried. There is a bar scene as well, but my absolute favourite is the fisherman in his boat with a huge fish on his line. Of course, it is above the seafood market!

We visited every $2.00 store there was, and even discovered another bookstore! It's called Urchin Books, lots of used books. I actually picked up "Playing Beattie Bow" by Ruth Park for 7.50! The big surprise was that the owner is a Canadian. She has been here for 17 years now. She was working in a book store and loved it so much she bought her own store! We had our lunch at the Post Cafe there, a huge lunch; we should have just ordered one quesadilla and shared it! It would have been plenty. We walked back up to Dulwich Hill but I wasn't ready to go back to the house yet. We stopped at a little cafe for our cappachinno, but oh so sad...there were no more Portuguese tarts left!

Saturday was our big date at the Opera House. We left the house around noon to give us lots of time to make our way over there. West Side Story didn't start until 2:00 p.m., but we had to have a coffee before the show! I will be honest here and say that I did not enjoy the performance. It was my own fault, and it was very obvious I had not done my homework. I thought we were going to a musical. It was actually the show, the original show, and the symphony was just playing along. As soon as we got into our seats, we thought it was kind of wierd. We were in the fourth row from the front, and we were looking up at the orchestra. There was no stage room left for any actors, but there was a big screen hanging from the ceiling. The symphony played all the music along with the movie. And yes, the symphony was wonderful, but it was doing what all music is supposed to do during a movie. It sets the mood, and as you become involved in the movie, you don't always really HEAR the music. Sorry, I am not explaining it very well. Anyway, I had to stop watching the movie, so I could watch the conductor and really LISTEN to the music. After the show, we left for Dulwich Hill right away as our dinner reservation was for 6:30.

We had hoped to go for dinner at Wildfire at the Rocks, but there was a huge cruise ship in that day, and we decided we didn't want to pay their prices without the view. So we ended up in Leichhardt at Osvaldo Poletti. THANK YOU trip advisors!!!! It was wonderful! I had the beef, Dave and Linda had the veal. We ordered potatoes and salad for the sides. YUM!! Dave actually ordered dessert as well, the three types of ice cream, and the waitress was most obliging in bringing two spoons ;o)

Sunday was a rest day, finally! We did do some laundry though, and Linda and I went over to Marrickville Metro to do some shopping for the trip the next day...

To be continued. Go get more coffee or wine!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

Thanks Joan, another great read! Glad you made it to Osvaldo Poletti, it's one of my faves in Leichhardt and has the added cache of being named for Valentino Rossi's imaginary sponsor...(we're all allowed to have a special imaginary friend). Looking forward to more, but sad to think it's nearing the end of the tale of your travels

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

What a shame you didn't enjoy the show :o( ...but dinner sounds great :o)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

Oh I love Playing Beatie Bow.. so pleased you now have a copy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

JOan, as a local of the wonderful innerwest you have given me another bookshop to go to!!!!!! Glad you enjoyed the walk along Marrickville Rd, its quickly becoming one of the few strip shopping areas in our suburbs with the big malls and indoor shopping centres taking over!!!

You made a great choice going to Osvaldo Poletti! Was this the birthday dinner??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

another fab read.. we will miss your TR's when you go !!

6. Re: Joan's last week (part 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:37