We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Goshen, AR
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a month long trip to Sydney in late August 2012 into September. We will be flying out of San Francisco airport. Any tips as to how soon to book our flights and/or when to fly in order to get the cheapest rates (our dates are flexible). Thanks :).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

check with www.kayak.com for a range of fares for various dates. this is a search not booking engine.

earlier is usually better than later but there is no given formula. sometimes an early booking will miss a last minute sale. the only advice i can give is that once u have booked never look again!

subscribe to the airline web sites that fly from sfo to here for specials. that is only united i think. if u want to fly via lax add qantas, delta and virgin australia. air new zealand flies to aus via auckland adding another 3 hours to a 14 hour trip.

personally i would always book directly with an airline rather than a 3rd party ie. orbitz, etc. when things go pear shaped it's a lot easier dealing with the service provider. and i have never really found them to be any cheaper after u add in ther various fees.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

I agree with Lien

One thing to watch for is that it's my understanding that around mid-September, generally prices for airline tickets step it up a notch .... that may be a universal thing called "shoulder season" or it could be because another round of School Holidays in Australia is about to start

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

Alison, check out jetabroad.com.au.....booked in January for March...Ireland to London and on to Hong Kong for 2 nights...Hong Kong to Sydney...return Sydney to Ireland via Signapore and London all for about US2300...I thought it was a great price....I know you are US but they have flights from all over the world....Nora

4. Re: Late August to Sydney...when to book flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:20