We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

London, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

I've found good deals for these hotels and can't decide. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be the best choice? Obviously the locations are very different.

Travelodge, Wentworth Avenue

Holiday Inn, Potts Point

Mercure, Potts Point

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

How do the reviews compare? Are you travelling alone & wanting to visit night clubs etc.?

The Travelodge is closer to the main sites/free city bus, Potts Point you are close to Kings Cross railway station (avoid late at night) a short train trip to the city.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

Have you tried the Mecure Sydney near central station.

Sits right next to the main transport hub in Sydney,giving you access to almost anywhere,also if you able to get a city view room,wow.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

Of the three you have suggested, I would opt for the Travelodge.

It is near the cafes and restaurants of Oxford St and a pleasant walk across Hyde Park to the CBD or straight down Golbourn St to Chinatown and Darling Harbour.

There is also the option of public transport (buses) almost at the front door and if you go out at night and don't feel like using public transport or walking, then it's a very short cab ride from the city.

The other two properties are very close to public transport (Kings Cross train station) but some people would find the area rather noisy (bits of it, like the strip clubs, are downright sleazy) and may feel uncomfortable there. Kings Cross is noted for it's night time activities and there are many bars and nightclubs in the area which can attract noisy elements - especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

I've actually booked the Holiday Inn before seeing this as didn’t check the notifications box! It'll be an "interesting" change of area for us (particularly arriving on Saturday) as we're familiar with Oxford St/Hyde Park. I always pack ear plugs!

5. Re: Travelodge / Mercure / Holiday Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:17